Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/20 11:16
Hi All,

I am travelling to Zao Onsen for skiing for 4 nights in January 2017. I am trying to find affordable accommodation for 2 adults and a child age 8 that has an attached bathroom. Most hotels/ ryokan seem to have only shared bathroom facilities. Our budget for a room is about Y16,000 per night max (sleeping 3 people). We will not have a car so will need to be easy to get to and from the ski area on foot or by shuttle.
There does not appear to be much available, not sure if that is because I am booking too far ahead? but want to secure accommodation early given it is ski season in Jan.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
by Alexis80 (guest)  

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/20 13:43
Sorry, not sure about that area - we were looking for something in the alpine countryside (in summer), but anything with a private bathroom was well over 16000Y. Might have to put up with a shared bathroom and the money saved you spend on nice food etc...
You are going to Japan, even old ryokans/hotels are clean.
Great skiing there, I'm envious.
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/20 23:47
Rooms with private onsen are usually hard to get for 8000Yen / person. (i assume the 16000 is total for all 3 of you).
But you could get one with shared bathrooms, enjoy those and then rent a private bathroom just for some hours (which ussually costs about 1000-2000YEN) whenever you want to be together.
by Glimpigumpi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/21 07:55
Thanks for that. We were just looking for somewhere with attached bathroom - not having to be private onsen bath. We would also be ok with somewhere with shared facilities if it was possible to reserve these for private use. I am happy to use onsen with other people (and have done on my last trip to Japan) but my husband is not comfortable with this for some specific personal reasons.

So can you recommend anywhere affordable where the shower/ bath facilities can be reserved for private use? It would be good to have a toilet at the room if possible, but main concern is showering in private. Thanks in advance.
by Alexis80 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/21 15:55
Here are some in your pricerange, but i cant recommend any of them cause i never been to ZAO

http://www.agoda.com/de-de/pages/agoda/default/DestinationSearchResult...
by Glimpigumpi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/21 17:19
Thank you, I am familiar with Agoda. but the link you gave me is for June. If you input My dates in Jan most of those hotels are either unavailable or exorbitantly expensive.
by Alexis80 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/21 18:48
You didn't give any dates so it's a bit hard to find accomodation with your preferences and budget. I put in January 4th to 8th and the most budget one would be Zao Onsen Suzunoya.

No food, shared bathroom around 450 dollar (on rakuten travel).

You are booking in high season with a low budget and you want a private bathroom. That's gonna be difficult.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/22 11:00
Zao is a traditional onsen place, and there are many types of accommodations, from family-run Minshuku to expensive onsen resorts. Many of them do not accept reservation online for the next January. You should consider family-run Minshuku which will fit your price range.

http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/67903/67903.html
http://www.t023.com/~zao/

Reservation by telephone is preferred.

Tel: 023-694-9565
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Zao onsen budget hotel with private bathroom 2016/6/30 18:03
Hi there
I am not sure which date of January you are planing to go to Zao.
Most of accommodation have a own private bath/shower with the room but they are not within your budget.
Have you try to look at Takamiya Hotel Hammond ?

http://travel.rakuten.com/hotel/Japan-Yamagata_Prefecture-Yamagata-Tak...

They have public hot spring but you can book to use privately around 2000yen. You can also send email to the Hotel to ask if they have private shower with room.
hammond@zao.co.jp
by Momo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread