Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 05:39
My partner and I have now booked our flights to Japan next year, we will be arriving at 9:30 in the morning after a 12 hour flight from the UK (but it'll feel like it's midnight our time!).

We haven't booked hotel yet but presumably we're unlikely to be able to check in until the afternoon, but we will be quite tired and without our wits about us!

Any suggestions for easy activity for the day?

We have 5 days in Tokyo a the end of our trip so I am not worried about squeezing anything 'must see' in this time as I'm not sure how well I'll remember it in my sleepy state!
by sakurayuna (guest)  

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 08:46
There are capsule hotels in the airport and you can book them ahead of time too. I would suggest if you are looking for someplace to just sleep for 4 - 8 hours to look into that. You could also get in a shower too after getting off the plane. You do not need to leave the airport and you can get some sleep.

You could also check out a manga cafe if you like manga
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2025_manga_kissa.html

If you are planning to check out Studio Ghibli while on your trip then this might be a good day to do that.

Could you let us know what you are hoping to see and do in Tokyo Japan and maybe someone on here can guide you to what would be easy and relaxing on your first day.

Thanks.
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 08:52
Are you leaving Tokyo the next morning? If you are, you could always treat yourself and stay at Toyo Station Hotel for the night. It is just awesome inside and breakfast is amazing, also it is like a museum in there and really interesting, as well as very luxurious. The area isnt that thrilling, though it is a short walk to Imperial Palace which is pretty enough especially at sakura time. And it is on top of Tokyo station where the shinkansen leave from.

We stay there as a treat the first night in, before leaving for anywhere other than Tokyo the next day.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 09:03
Try to get some good sleep on the flight coming over, so that you can forget about what time it is in the UK once you arrive in Japan :)

Don't take a loooong nap after you arrive in Japan, that worsens your jet lag. You could stay at the capsule hotel in the airport for a short while or use the shower there to freshen up, but depending on where your hotel is, you could go drop off your luggage, and then go for walks around in parks/shopping area nearby.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 11:13
Don't worry about it..... by the time you get to your hotel in Tokyo it will be about lunchtime...... grab a bite while waiting for your room and with a little bit of luck your room will be ready before you know it. Shower and maybe take a short siesta, then head out and go explore Tokyo. Even if you are tired, you will feel re-energized by what Tokyo and the Japanese culture has to offer.
Enjoy putting your itenarary together and have a wonderful time in Japan!
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 13:39
If you're coming from Narita it will probably be around noon by the time you get to your hotel to drop off your luggage, so there's just a couple of hours to kill. I'd suggest eating lunch and walking around rather than planning to go somewhere else.

You should also look into early check-in.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/21 15:04
I'm a Japanese resident, so I can't speak on behalf of a visitor, but whenever I travel to the other side of the planet, I tend to enjoy some relaxing treats upon arrival such as massage, spa, swimming pool with a view, and meals. And these are all available in Tokyo too.

Another thing is that package tours tend to schedule city sightseeing tours upon arrival until check-in time, for this reason. You may want to book a guided bus tour where you'd be able to just sit back and listen to the guide and look out the window or even doze away.

I also try to adjust my sleeping ours before I leave for my destination (because I love going to the UK!). One of the easiest way to do this is to stay up late the night before I leave, and sleep all the way through the flight. I don't want to miss anything once a land!

Hope you have an inspiring time in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/22 11:37
Like others have suggested. I would either go the capsule option and get into Tokyo mid to late after noon. Hit hotel about 4-5pm then explore night + dinner.

Or get into Tokyo asap, have lunch and go to hotel for 2pm cat nap. Again at 5 pm, explore night + dinner.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/24 12:32
Have lunch then explore the neighborhood where your hotel is located. That way you would know where the nearest grocery, convenience stores, cafes, restaurants, etc are located. I tend to check-in early since you sometimes get lucky where a room is already available. Otherwise, japanese hotels allow their guests to leave their bags with front desk even if the room isn't ready yet.
by ami (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jet lagged + tired in Tokyo recommendations? 2016/6/24 13:06
get lucky where a room is already available.

And sometimes you can request an early check-in, either for free or with a small additional fee. It often helps to register yourself with the hotel's loyalty program first.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread