Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/21 10:51
I am flying from Osaka (KIX) and landing at Narita at 2:35pm. I need to board a 3:20pm flight (45 minutes in between) to Detroit, Michigan, United States. Is there any chance that I make the flight to Detroit?
by Angel (guest)  

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/21 17:51
No, there is no chance.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/21 18:01
You won't be able to make that as you still need to pass through Customs and Immigration before you board the plane! Were these flights booked separately, or on the same itinerary?
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/21 18:03
Depends. Are both flights on the same ticket? Will you have checked luggage?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 00:21
The flights were booked by a travel agency with the same itinerary.
by Angel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 00:27
To have a good summary of your ticket, you can use checkmytrip.com: just input your six-character reservation code and your last name. If both flights are shown, then indeed it means that both flights are on the same ticket.

There may still be complications, however. Most importantly, what are the airlines for both flights? If they are not in the same alliance, it is possible that you will have to check-in for your Narita-Detroit flight at Narita, which could make a big delay.

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 04:58
It will probably be OK since both legs are on Delta, which runs KIX-NRT specifically to feed their ex-NRT flights.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 05:11
Also note that Delta 172 KIX-NRT is considered an international flight, so you will pass thru immigration control at KIX. The transfer at NRT will be international to international and will not require additional time.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/shop/deals-and-offers/deals-fro...

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 12:04

Sounds like you will be on transit only. I was in a same situation once, was given 30 min, and was very worried then. But turned out no issue.

"transit vs transfer"
Transit means people on the same flight/plane/airline. For example when a plane lands to refuel.
Transfer means people switching flight/plane airline.

by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 15:13
@jh The flight times on your link don't match those in OP. But it's very surprising that Delta is doing this, they could codeshare with ANA or JAL instead...

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 15:25
As previous posters have said, if both flights are on a Delta ticket (code sharing as well), then they need to ensure you don't miss the flight. They should meet you at Narita when you land and help you to get to the US bound gate in time.

They did this with us in Hong Kong when our flight was slightly delayed to Beijing on the same ticket.

When you check-in at Osaka, they will let you know what will happen. The bags should be checked all the way through to the US. Make sure you get there with ample time in case they need to juggle flights or something.
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 21:08
Delta is not part of the ANA or JAL alliances, they are SkyTeam, so I don't think they'll be code-shared with either one.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 21:20
There are many cases where airlines in different alliances codeshare. Air France codeshares with JAL, for example.

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 21:29
Delta isn't one to codeshare with Japanese carriers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines#Codeshare_agreements

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/22 21:42
Can you read, or what? I know they don't, but I'm wondering why. There seems to be no advantage in flying their own plane.

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/23 00:04
Yes I can read, Mr. Know It All. That's why I responded to your, There are many cases where airlines in different alliances codeshare. Air France codeshares with JAL, for example. with my response. This is one case, of many, in which your comment is NOT correct. If you knew this to be true, why all the unnecessary ranting?

Re: Will I make my connecting flight? 2016/6/23 04:47
Flying their own plane makes sense to me though; it allows Delta to provide their passengers with almost direct service to KIX without the hassle of customs and immigration at the intermediate stop.

Not sure how it's going to work out in the long run though as Delta is intent on moving its NRT base to HND.

reply to this thread