Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beach days in Kyushu (or elsewhere) with kid 2016/6/21 17:09
Good morning (or whatever time of the day it may be for you :)),
we are going to Japan in August with our 3 year old and have planned to be in Southern Kyushu somewhere around August 18th.
We need to be back in Tokyo on the 23rd for our flight back.
After all the cities, we would like to spend a few days somewhere at the beach, but I am not quite sure about the best destination - we thought about flying down to Okinawa or Amami for a few days, but I feel (maybe wrongly?) that this might be a little complicated without renting a car on the islands, so maybe it's better to stay in Kyushu? Does anyone have any ideas of a nice kid-friendly place where one could spend a few days relaxing? Open to any suggestions, no matter the location (as long as it's easy to reach....)
Thanks!
by syyskuu (guest)  

Re: Beach days in Kyushu (or elsewhere) with kid 2016/6/22 09:17
by andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Beach days in Kyushu (or elsewhere) with kid 2016/6/22 10:32
I am a resident of Kagoshima, southern part of Kyushu. Honestly, second half of August is not good season for the beaches in Kyushu, because of the high wave and poisonous jellyfishes. In Okinawa, many beaches are guarded from the wave by coral reefs and the "jellyfish net". As you wrote, you might better take rental car since the public transport is not so convenient in Okinawa, but once you get the car you can go everywhere in this beautiful island (mainland Okinawa).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Beach days in Kyushu (or elsewhere) with kid 2016/6/22 10:49
I went to the beaches around Fukuoka as mentioned in the link provided by Andy. They are very nice but I went in July - the water was very warm and quite salty so it felt a bit different to what I was used to in Australia.
Didn't realize they had poisonous jellyfish - if they are similar to what we have in northern Australia, then I would stay well away from the water.
Agree, if you want a beach holiday, probably Okinawa is the way to do. Having said that, there are some very pretty places on the coast around Kyusyu.
by Matt1969 rate this post as useful

Re: Beach days in Kyushu (or elsewhere) with kid 2016/6/22 10:51
The beaches around Aoshima near Miyazaki and along the Nichinan Coastline are probably some of the best in Kyushu.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread