Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/25 20:17
I will visit Kyoto from 16th to 22nd August and I'm interested in Miyako Odori show at Gion Kobu Kaburenjo theater.
In the website, partly in maintenance, doesn't give the option to book in advance and it reports old information about April performances...
http://www.miyako-odori.jp/english/index.html

Anyone know more about it? How can I book and from when?
by LeonGarcia  

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/26 09:37
Miyako Odori is only shown in April. There is a variety show of different traditional arts in the same theater that is held all year round though. You need to look for information for Gion Corner to find it.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/26 16:25
exactly, I only april ... more of a look here
http://www.kyoto-gioncorner.com/global/en.html
by pirataurbano rate this post as useful

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/26 19:06
Wow, it's exactly what I'm looking for.
Anyway it seems that is not possible to book in advance on line but only by phone, can you confirm that?
by LeonGarcia rate this post as useful

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/27 06:18
Don't worry- you don't need to book the Gion Corner performance in advance. Just arrive 1 hour before the time of the show to start queuing and be able to choose your seat (there are no seat reservations). There are two performances an evening (6pm and 7pm) so you should have no problem going to one of them if you arrive early.
Also- look out for leaflets with discount coupons for Gion Corner in Tourist Information centres as they often have special promotions.
Enjoy!
by Kikuya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/27 06:40
About the exhibition: is possible to visit it before and after the show?

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/27 20:16
Unless there is a special exhibition at that time that I don't know about I think you will mean the display of seasonal kanzashi and information about the different geisha districts that they have on permanent display at Gion Corner.
If that is what you mean then don't worry- the display is actually where you queue up so there is plenty of time to look at it both before and after the performance. There are also a few nice paintings in the foyer area that you can see too. There is a small gift shop where you can buy souvenirs after the performance but you cannot access this part before you go in.
I hope that answered your question!

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/28 07:17
I'm talking about "Maiko Gallery, where videos of dances, the hair decorations worn by maiko dancers, and other items are on display." (quoted from website) Is this in the foyer/hall?

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/28 21:40
Yes- this is the same as what I mentioned above. It is very small (but still very interesting) and is in the entranceway where you queue up before the performance. I make tsumami kanzashi hair ornaments so for me it was great to see a full display of monthly kanzashi designs.

Re: Miyako Odori bookings in Kyoto 2016/6/28 21:43
Ok, perfect. Is it ok to go there one hour before the show or earlier?

reply to this thread