Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 12:00
I understand there is a series of escalators going up to the top of Enoshima, but not down again.

For someone whose knees don't much like going down stairs, what is the return journey like? Not recommended?
by Ausfam (guest)  

Re: Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 13:31
I would not recommend Enoshima if you have bad kness and don't like stairs. It is a lot of stairs. The first 50% to the top is all upwards. Then the next 50% down to the back caves is up and down, mainly down.

I guess you could attempt to dodge the first 50% by taking the escalators. But you will still find many stairs from the top back down.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 13:49
Thanks. We weren't going to do the caves section.

Just wondering about the way back down after taking the escalators up.
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 15:02
I'm guessing that walking down a narrow, winding roadway with no stairs might not be much easier than walking down stairs, but that is another option.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 15:07
The stairs are really well made, with handrails etc. I mean it isnt a dodgy setup and there is pretty much zero risk of falling.

That said, they are pretty steep and there are plenty of them. but if you can handle it, I would recommend it. i didnt find the gardens at the top all that interesting, but the lookout is nice and you get views of Fuji if you are up there early enough. My missus went up the lighthouse but scaredy cat me stayed on the ground. There is a little foresty bit with a squirrel or two and one of the places where you buy locks and clip them to a wall, and a shrine. All have references to the dragon legend which is also carried on in the caves.

There is a spectacular italian restaurant up there too. The food is great, and the desserts even better.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 15:36
Thanks everyone, my husband says he'll give it a go!
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Enoshima stairs 2016/6/26 19:45
From4 to 15 of this map, you can go in the escalator.
There is a staircase going down through from 16 to 17.
http://enoshimajinja.or.jp/annai/
In front of the sea side of the route of the 17 it has no stairs. (Car rarely pass)
It will arrive next to the No. 4 and go down the hill.
From 18 to 20 has a long stairs down.
However, if there is no high waves and good weather, you will return to 1 by boat from Chigogafuchi.
http://www.discover-fujisawa.jp/sightseeing/whattosee/iwaya-caves-ryur...
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread