Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bank - Mobile - Cooking Class 2016/6/28 13:22
Hi,

I have searched the forum and the net, but I am still unsure about few things/advices...

I will be moving soon to Japan, but I still have few questions.
I am coming on Engineer Visa and will be staying in hotels the first 10 days, then plane to either move to a guesthouse or a mansion if I can find something appropriate.

*** Banks ***
*Which banks are foreign friendly ?*
I lived in JP back in 2008 for 6 months only and have a dormant account in Shinsei Bank, but I do not have the Card, nor inkan...
so my guess will be that I have to open a new bank account... or maybe there is a chance to reactivate it ? If so which bank do you recommend ?
Is this list of documents enough to open an account:
- My residence card (which I am suppose to receive at the airport, but at first I will be staying in a hotel ...)
- My passport with the visa.

*** Phone ***
What is the best plan without having engagement, since so far I understood most of the MVNO required a Japanese Credit card.
I already got a Phone (Iphone 6S) and I would like to use around 3-4G of data and maybe do few calls.

*** Accomodation ***

My job might be safe for one year, but its not a 100% thing,
Do you think I should go for a mansion or target share house.
My budget for housing will be up to 12 man en (including everything) if possible a bit central. Giving a lots of money to get the key scares me a bit... also having a lease of 1/2 years as well...

*** Cooking ***
I would like to take some cooking class, since I don't know how to cook and Its such a shame for a French guy O-o ...
Do you have any recommendation regarding Cooking Class/School ( 2-3 hours/week max).

Sorry for my bad English ... and thanks again in advance.

by Arno (guest)  

Re: Bank - Mobile - Cooking Class 2016/6/28 14:37
You can get a basic account at Yuucho Ginko (Japan Post Bank) easily without an inkan, but I find that ATMs are hard to find.

You can try Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ, but you'll need an inkan (you don't need to have it registered at the city hall, you can just get an inkan made online or at a store and use that). It's what I did and there are ATMs all over the place and they open until late generally, it's my personal recommendation.

At the airport you will get your residence card with the address part blank. Before opening any account anywhere, you first have to get your address registered at the city hall of wherever you will live, and you have to do that within 14 days of arriving in Japan.
If you do not have the address written on the back of your residence card, you won't be able to do anything at all (no bank account and no phone... unless you use a SIM card for tourists).

Good luck!

by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank - Mobile - Cooking Class 2016/6/28 15:07
I find that ATMs are hard to find

Do you know about Google Maps?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Bank - Mobile - Cooking Class 2016/6/28 15:23
Hi !
thanks for your feedback.
I lost my previous inkan, it was a simple one not registered as well with my name written in katakana. I will get the same thing, since you said it's enough.

as for MUFJ, I do remember back in 2008, they didn't want to proceed with my application as they told me, I have been in Japan for less than 6 month, I was under working holidays at that time. Its not the case anymore ?

I will try to find some permanent accommodation ASAP, so I can register my address within the 14 days. What will happen if I do not have permanent address within this 14days ?

Thanks again for your help.
by arno (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank - Mobile - Cooking Class 2016/6/28 16:59
Hi again
Hm, I'm not sure about the 6-month thing at MUFJ, hm. I had been in Japan for almost a year when I opened the account. But maybe it had more to do with your residence status than with the actual time you had been in Japan. If your residence card says you can be in Japan for 1 or 3 or 5 years, I think you should be okay (not sure though).
Oh and my inkan is just a simple one with my name in katakana too.

And about not registering on time, I don't know what the consequences for that are...
The info here
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/newimmiact/q_a_details1_english.html (number Q1-15) says you can be fined for not registering on time, though...

by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread