Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

need help on the following sentence 2016/6/28 20:38
I have an email-penpal friend sending this to me, I don't quite understand this sentence.
独学で勉強してることがおかしいと思われるなんて失礼だと思った

does it mean she felt it's funny/awkward to study alone?
by Andyteng86  

Re: need help on the following sentence 2016/6/29 09:08
Not quite.

[{独学で勉強してることがおかしい}と思われるなんて]失礼だと思った

- I felt it was rude that [it would be considered that {studying alone was strange}].

To put it on a more natural English,
- I felt it was rude that someone would consider studying alone was strange/not right.
- I am offended that someone would think that studying alone was strange/not right.

So apparently she is studying something on her own, but someone must have said something to the effect that studying alone didn't sound right, and she didn't like that comment.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: need help on the following sentence 2016/6/29 13:21
I'm still learning my Japanese as well..

but i think someone in this group can help (see below)...they got alot of native speakers there that are bilingual with Japanese and English, and thats how I'm getting by right now...haha

I find with Japanese...there's alot of HIDDEN context in the words and meanings...tricky tricky

http://www.meetup.com/Tokyo-Japanese-Chat-yurika/
by achan222 rate this post as useful

Re: need help on the following sentence 2016/6/29 23:27
I find with Japanese...there's alot of HIDDEN context in the words and meanings...tricky tricky
But nothing is hidden in the sentence OP mentioned, he/she just failed to get the structure.
by py (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread