Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/12 02:58
Hello

I want to go to Japan for the first three weeks of September. I want to be in a place with nice trees and a mellow vibe overlooking the sea.

I had seen mentioned that Nagasaki was kind of a laid back town? Which led me to look towards Kyushu.

How is the weather in September? I would also go north too if there was a relaxing scenic town where a dirtbag like me could look at the sea, clear my head and immerse myself hopefully for under $3k ?
by SeattleMick (guest)  

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/12 10:45
If you want something laid back, nothing beats Okinawa, especially outside the main island.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/12 11:22
Miyazaki/Aoshima
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/12 11:31
Miyazaki
Followed by Kumamoto (prefecture not the city) and Nagasaki. Can do a week for each place.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/12 11:45
There is so many. Depends on your interests. And your ability to communicate.

Kyushu has so many little cities and beachside towns, you could get lost of weeks if you never looked at your watch.

The whole coastal area running along the Orange Railway, Sendai to Yatsushiro, especially Yunoko/Minamata area.

Nichinan coastline south of Myiazaki. Lots of little secluded beaches only 50m long each.

Ibusuki and Beppu. The sand isn't as great, but the beaches are nice and they have onsens galore near by.

I'd google map Kyushu and use satellite view and follow the coastlines. You'll find something interesting all over Kyushu.

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/12 11:52
Oops, sorry. forgot to add one in. Between Fukuoka and Karatsu is dotted with beautiful beaches. They are very rural towns in between, but you are so close to a major city also. Easy train access all the way.

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/13 01:33
Thanks for the replies.

My style is more oriented to winging it than making reservations. I've heard this is discouraged in part because of how expensive travel and accomodation can be.

Still, if I can, I would like to not have anything set in stone except for maybe the first two nights in Fukuoka while I recover from flights/layovers. I'm much more of a backpacking type traveler. I don't go places to see things per se, I like to be in places that feel different where I absorb the environment a bit more passively.

I don't understand the Japan Rail Pass, and I guess there is one for Kyushu? I've only seen prices listed for 3 and 5 days which were still exorbitant. Is this really the best option for getting around?

I also don't like to use lonely planet, in general, however with limited time and money I do want to sort of optimize and end up somewhere that suits my purposes.

Lastly, will it be hot there, for the first three weeks of September? Will it be windy? If I was to go to Hokkaido instead would it be too early for the fall weather/colors ?
by SeattleMick (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/13 06:34
There is a rail pass for Kyushu only, but it is expensive compared to other options.

You do not need a rail pass to travel every day. It is only suitable for long distance traveling. Not for short hops around town.

you'll have to decide how much traveling you are doing to allow you do make a decision on if the rail passes are suitable for not for your trip.

Winging it is fine. With 3 weeks, you could easily do a full lap around Kyushu and stopping where you see fit. the good thing about Kyushu is that it is not as busy as the better known places in Japan, so winging it could be done better than elsewhere.

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/13 10:15
One thing to remember: September is typhoon season! With the weather being so crazy these past years, they're become very unpredictable... So you might get really good weather for the duration of your trip or it could be hell... Especially if you stay near the coast or in mountainous areas. Landslides are becoming more common as well. So even if I understand why you don't want to plan your stay too much, it would probably be better to book your hotels in advance so you're not without shelter if the worst happens! Temperature in September, especially in the South, will still mostly be above 30 degrees, so great for swimming!
by Lizzy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/13 11:55
Nagasaki is no "town". With its sea traffic you probably don't want to be swimming in the water. But further away, the options are endless. In Sasebo for example, you might look at Kashimae Beach. There is also an island cruise you can take from Sasebo, and there are good scenic places like Tenkaiho. You should definitely see Nagasaki City though - there are many historic and beautiful places.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-gbw2yXNLK92siHyNqSNx...

Near Itoshima, west of Fukuoka City as said there are some good places there - Keya, Sunset Beach, Obaru, Fukae, etc. North of the city are several good places as well. You could also take a day trip to someplace like Iki Island.
In addition to Okinawa you also might look at the Amami Islands (part of Kagoshima). You'd be pressed to find any place more laid back.
Just one other note - yes, there may be a few typhoons, but the real problem for you in some areas might be the number of jellyfish from mid-August.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/13 12:33
I dont understand the OP.

You want to optimse yet you dont refer to a guide book. How do you know what's good and whether there is a more interesting just a bus stop away?

With regard to winging it and soaking up the environment how does one do that if there is no place to stay the night? I agree that Kyushu has many charming small towns though some of these towns have no lodging or may be fully booked when you get there. Would be disappointing if you have to walk for hours just to reach the next town just for sleep (after buses/trains stop for the day). Camping in the open is not legal.

I would only do backpacking if i'm traveling out the peak season and I am in a place I know hotels are widely available.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Relaxing affordable 3 weeks at Kyushu beach? 2016/7/13 12:47
Hirado Gotou in Nagasaki pref. might be favor for you.

Naruchou is the small town famous for the following old song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc9-upho42g
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread