Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/13 08:32
Hi, I'm going to Japan 28 Oct to & Nov 16. 5 days in Hokkaido and 5 days in Tokyo.

I'm struggling planning on the Hokkaido part at the moment.

So our itinerary at the moment looks like this

28 Oct arrive in Narita 9am. Spend the day in Tokyo
29 Oct take morning traing to Hakodate, arriving lunch time. go to Fort Gyokaku then Motomachi and night view at Mt Hakodate.
30 Oct Hakodate Morning Market then go to Sapporo. Explore Sapporo Central
31 Oct Explore Sapporo. Lunch go to Otaru.
1 Nov from Sapporo go to Noboribetsu or Lake Toya or Jozankei Onsen
2 Nov to Hakodate and take 5pm train to Tokyo.
3 Nov Tokyo
4 Nov Disney
5 Nov Tokyo
6 Nov Tokyo
7 Nov go home

How's my plan so far?

I have couple of extra questions
1. Is it worth it taking plane straight away on the 28th to Sapporo. It's around $80. We thought we want to save some money because we have JR Pass.
2. Is it better to stay in Hakodate City or Yunokawa Onsen?
3. Day trip to Otary better on the 31st or on the 30th after I arrive to Sapporo, go to Otaru. then on the 31st, whole day in Sapporo.
4. Is Murayama Park, must go?
5. Which onsen area is better for my stay on the 1st?
6. Is there anything in Furano/Biei during late Oct?
7. Is my plan ok or it's better to do Tokyo first 4 days, Hokkaido 5D, then back to Tokyo for 1 last day shopping?

thank you guys!
by Ron (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/13 19:38
Since you're going to Hakodate on the way in and way out of Hokkaido you may as well save yourself the flight money and catch the shinkansen from/to Tokyo. You can also save yourself a few thousand yen by buying the JR East South Hokkaido Pass instead of the JR pass. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_southhokkaido.html
With that pass you can have 6 days if coverage in a 14 day period, so based on the current itinerary you'd use it on 29, 30, 31, 1, 2, and either one of your trips to/from Narita.

It may be more convenient to stay in Hakodate itself because you're sightseeing in the evening.

As for the 31st, have a look at listings for attractions in Sapporo and Otaru that you're interested in and check their opening days. The 31st is a Monday and Monday's are often closure days in Japan. If there's no hassle just pick on the basis of feeling like travelling or not.

If it were me, I'd stay in Noboribetsu. In fact, I'd stay at Daiichi Takimotokan https://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/ We visited as day guests and wow, their onsen were amazing. Definitely recommended.

I think your plan looks good. I can't imagine there'd be anything much in Furano/Biei that time of year that would justify the travelling time. Anyone know?

Oh and we didn't go to Murayama park because other things looked more interesting to us. Our airbnb host rates it highly though. My favourite things in Sapporo were the beer museum, Historical Village of Hokkaido and the very long and wonderful lunch we had with Nagomi Visit hosts.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/14 08:22
Thank you for your response.

If I'm taking flights, the itinerary probably going to be like this
28 Oct arrive narita 9am then take flight 12 pm arriving sapporo 3pm. dinner and mt moiwa.
29 oct explore sapporo
30 oct otaru
31 oct onsen
1 nov hakodate
2 nov morning market and back to tokyo

hows that look like?

Jr east south hokkaido pass, can i use that inside tokyo?

in biei, probably only blue pond POI that opens during this time
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/14 13:37
Yes, that link I included shows the coverage area of the pass but it would only be worthwhile if you go at least one direction between Tokyo and Hakodate.

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/14 14:10
yes, we are going from hakodate to tokyo to train. 1 of my friend havent been to Japan, so riding a shinkansen would be great for him as well

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/14 18:07
Sounds great. Remember you'll need to make reservations for the Hokkaido shinkansen (Hayabusa) but that's easy to do at a JR office and is free with the rail pass.

As for Blue Pond, that's probably the only thing to look at that time of year but with the travel required a limited number of days available you'd have to ask yourselves if it's worth it.

With the JR East South Hokkaido pass, use it on the 6 most expensive days of rail travel. It's probably: Sapporo to Otaru and return, Sapporo to onsen, Onsen to Hakodate, Hakodate to Tokyo, Tokyo to Narita airport, plus whichever other day is worth more, possibly from New Chitose airport to Sapporo. Use hyperdia.com or Google Maps to check the prices.

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/17 17:19
Hi Ron, I am planning to Tokyo and haikaiddo too. Can u share with me ur itinerary ?if possible, can send to derrucksim@gmail.com.thanks .
by Derricksim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/17 17:45
Sorry, typo error. Should be derricksim@gmail.com. Thanks.
by Derricksim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/18 12:53
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrqjlv0eifaw95w/Japan%20Oct%2016%20.xlsx?dl=...

thats my iteneray at the moment. Could anyone give comment and advice. thank you

Re: Hokkaido Itinerary Help 2016/7/18 16:48
Hokkaido is slightly busy but not rushed. Busy waiting for trains to get you there.
Tokyo is a lot more reasonable in pacing. Might want to get out somewhat.
All looks good.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread