Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/13 19:47
I am planning to use a combination of JR Pass and ICOCA when I return to Japan soon. I only used ICOCA the last time I was there. I have some questions related to JR Pass.

1) Is it true that I can now purchase it from Kansai Airport? No need for online reservation or reservation thru an agent?

2) How will JR Pass apply to this route suggestion from Hyperdia for a trip from Shijo to Himeji.
Shijo to Kyoto via Kyoto Subway Karasuma Line 210yen
Kyoto to Himeji via JR Special Rapid Service for Himeji 2,270yen
Will JR Pass cover for the entire fare of 2,480yen? Or will I use ICOCA for for the Shijo to Kyoto train ride then use the JR Pass for the Kyoto yo Himeji ride?

3) If I buy the 7-day pass, travel Japan for 6 days only but the total assumed train fare of my trip is say around 35,000 yen will the 7-day pass amounting to 29,110yen cover that entire 35K yen? Is my understanding correct?

Thank you all in advance for your help! JR Pass is so confusing to me.
by Eggie Gonzales (guest)  

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 09:50
Is it true that I can now purchase it from Kansai Airport?

No.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 10:05
For point 3 YES it is correct that is why sometime buy the JR pass is more economical as well more convenience.

For point 2 subway do not covered by the JR pass.
by ElbertPoh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 11:45
JR passes are only for JR train services.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 12:22
I've heard a rumor that Japan down the road might allow buying a JR Pass after arriving in Japan, but for right now you must get the exchange order before arriving in Japan. Some play hooky with this and have the exchange order delivered to them after they arrive, but by the book you still have to buy the order before departure. You can activate the pass at KIX
until 11PM, but not buy the pass from scratch there.

One thing screaming for attention though is where you plan to go with the pass. If you lose money, it is not worth getting, and you only show a few local trips that would not make a pass pay off. I suggest you run your plans through Hyperdia
http://www.hyperdia.com
and first make sure the pass is even worth it.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 12:28
but by the book you still have to buy the order before departure

How do you know, given that "the book" is not publicly available?

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 12:32
May be not distance future we can purchase locally as below is the extract: "The Japan Rail Pass can be used only by foreign tourists in Japan. Currently, the pass can be purchased only outside of Japan. However, starting sometime in 2016 on a trial basis, it will also become available for purchase at Narita, Haneda and Kansai Airports. "
by ElbertPoh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 12:38
JR makes the rules and qualifications quite clear regarding buying the pass on their site. I've also spoken with some travel agents that sell the pass. Mailing the exchange orders to Japan is bending the rules, but outright selling you the pass when they know you are in Japan is against the agreement the agency makes with JR on selling them. Talk to them yourself.

JR passes are only for JR train services.

Mostly true of course but not entirely. You can use the pass for the Miyajima ferry, monorail to Haneda, Hiroshima City Loop Bus, as well as some other local JR buses to Akiyoshido, etc.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 12:52
outright selling you the pass when they know you are in Japan is against the agreement the agency makes with JR on selling them.

Not buying this. If it's against the rules, why do they do it? Obviously if somebody asks to have it shipped to Japan, it's because they are in Japan. Not to mention the IP address of the computer used to make the purchase, few people probably use IP obfuscators.

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 12:54
(Not to mention that even then it's the seller who's breking the rules, not the buyer.)

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 13:24
And who pray tell, are "they"?
I'm just telling you the rules. You can't buy the pass in Japan.
Here it is from the horse's mouth:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/purchase.html

Buy your Exchange Order for the JAPAN RAIL PASS at one of the following sales offices or agents before coming to Japan.
JTB Corp., Nippon Travel Agency, KINTETSU INTERNATIONAL, Tobu Top Tours, Japan Airlines*1, All Nippon Airways*2, JALPAK, and their associated agencies.
*JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased in Japan.
You must purchase an Exchange Order at an authorized sales agent or sales office before coming to Japan.

I really don't care what you buy or not. Just giving you the facts. Or maybe you think it's only wrong if you're caught? Perhaps you have some anecdote about an agency taking the purchase when according to the rules, they shouldn't have. It's up to each agency as to how vigorously they decide to follow up.
If you're so sure of yourself, send an e-mail or call the agencies above and ask the official policy. But I've spoken to the agents that sell the pass and the rules they're supposed to follow. Evidently you haven't.

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/14 19:48
OP - the info is here already: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass - Where to buy/How to use? 2016/7/15 08:43
Hello everyone! Thank you for all your inputs and suggestions. Your comments are very helpful to me as I finalize my itinerary. Happy returns to all of you :) - Eggie Gonzales
by 3ggi3pot rate this post as useful

reply to this thread