Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/13 20:46
Hi,

Would like to ask, if I'm arriving at Narita airport from overseas and transferring to a domestic flight for Sapporo that same day same airport, do I have to clear immigration in Tokyo or in Sapporo?

I'm asking this as I am contemplating between 2 flight choices. One with 1.5 hrs in between flights and another with at least 5 hrs of waiting time.

From my past experiences of visiting Tokyo, It always took me about 1 hour to clear immigration. So if I take the flight with shorter waiting time, it would only leave me with 30 mins to get luggage and transfer terminals, which I think is very risky. But then, it would be nice to save the extra 3-4 hours of waiting.

let me know if you have experienced this before.

Thanks
by FQue  

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 09:42
You pass immigration and customs in Tokyo, of course.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 10:09
1.5 hour to clear immigration; collect luggage ; transfer to domestic terminal is too risky. Can't make it.
by ElbertPoh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 10:15
There is no "domestic terminal" at Narita.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 10:26
Well it is just the description as Narita has three termial and depends on which terminal u landed and which domestic terminal u will depart hence you may need to txf from one termial to another.

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 10:57
OP need to check whether need to cross over to other terminal for domestic flight departure for example T2 walk to T3 take 15 minutes similar to others if by bus take 10-15 minutes excluding waiting time. Should the international landing and domestic departing all at the same terminal 10-15 minutes can be save. Each of the T1 T2 T3 Terminal has BOTH international and domestic terminal.

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 11:15
You always go through Immigration and Customs at your first port of entry.
There were a few exceptions in the past on some flights for JAL for example where the flights from Narita to Nagoya and Osaka were registered with the government as being international flights, so you'd go through Immigration at NGO or ITM. But those as I recall are no longer operating.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 11:20

One with 1.5 hrs in between flights and another with at least 5 hrs of waiting time
If I were in a same situation, I would take option 2.
I could not imagine the stress you would have if opting for option one, and your flight was late, and the queue for the immigration was longer than expected, and.....
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 11:42
Option 2 works better for me also.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: International flight to domestic transfer 2016/7/14 14:23
Yes Im going to go with option 2. Thanks for the input everybody.
by FQue rate this post as useful

reply to this thread