Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

student visas and driving license 2016/7/14 18:44
If i have a student visas can i learn driving in Japan?
When my student visas expires, can i renew my driving license?
How long is the license validity?
When the license expires, can i still convert it in my country which is part of the international agreement?
Can i get a driving license within 6 months, what will be the estimated cheapest cost?
Is it easy to pass or fail in Japan?
Thank you.
by chie21jan  

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/15 09:54
If i have a student visas can i learn driving in Japan?

Yes, but some exchange student programs prohibit students from driving cars. Check your program rules.

When my student visas expires, can i renew my driving license?

Yes, provided you still reside in Japan.

How long is the license validity?

3 years for new drivers.

When the license expires, can i still convert it in my country which is part of the international agreement?

Typically the license must be valid to be able to convert it. You're returning to Australia?

Can i get a driving license within 6 months, what will be the estimated cheapest cost?

Presuming you're a new driver, you will have to attend driving school. It typically takes at least a month if you go full time, longer if you can only attend part time.

Is it easy to pass or fail in Japan?

After completing the classes you are issued a certificate that you exchange directly for a license at the Traffic Center. No practical test is required, just a paper test and cursory health check.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/15 17:14
hey thanks so much for answering all my questions carefully.

I do not have driving licence.

Do you mean the drivers in Japan only go through 'paper qualification'? There is no driving test?

Does that mean if i get my paper licence, i can convert it in my country within 3 years (validity period)?

It is true that I can only renew the licence in Japan if i have a residence card?

arigatou :))
by chie21jan rate this post as useful

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/15 18:23
no, you can't finish the school, if your driving skill is not enough.
there are many driving tests in school. you can't go to the next step, until you pass the previous test.
generally, it is not easy. it may take a few months.
also, you have to pass the paper test which is very tricky.

check your country's law.
probably, they request a longer stay of Japan, after you got the license. (in the case of Japanese law, you have to stay in that country for at least 3 months after you got the license in that country.)

"It is true that I can only renew the licence in Japan if i have a residence card?"
probably, yes. if you have a VALID residence card.
when renewing, generally, you don't have a valid residence card. it will be impossible. after your student status is expired, your card is not valid. you have to have a new residential status at that time.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/15 21:17
If my driving licence is still valid but my visas status has expired, I cannot drive in Japan?

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/15 22:39
If your visa expires, you cannot BE in Japan.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/16 09:02
Do you mean the drivers in Japan only go through 'paper qualification'? There is no driving test?

As mentioned, new Japanese drivers go through driving school. This includes both classroom lecture and on the road driving. There are internal tests that you would have to pass.

Does that mean if i get my paper licence, i can convert it in my country within 3 years (validity period)?

Yes, but as ken mentioned there is a minimum time for which you would have had to have held the license in Japan.

It is true that I can only renew the licence in Japan if i have a residence card?

Yes

If my driving licence is still valid but my visas status has expired, I cannot drive in Japan?

No, you could still drive in Japan as long as your license is valid. For example, if you left Japan but came back later as a tourist you could still drive on a valid license.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/16 09:14
The IDP scheme does not give you a drivers license in another country. It is a temporary work-around to avoid re-licensing. If you went to Australia/New Zealand you are expected to sit and pass the local test (for example).

In my case, coming to japan, I have to sit and pass the local test if I want to drive beyond the initial 12-months of IDP issue.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: student visas and driving license 2016/7/16 09:38
Thanks.
So long my Japan driving licence is valid i can drive whether i am on student or tourist visas.
This info is very critical

reply to this thread