Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Before I book 10-day trip, please suggest 2016/7/15 03:38
Hi there,

About to book my second trip to Japan. Would like to visit Kyoto more than Tokyo this time around.

Sept 7th - Depart Canada
Sept 8th - Arrive at Narita/Tokyo
Sept 9th - TOKYO
Sept 10th - TOKYO (HAKONE?)
Sept 11th - TOKYO/KYOTO
Sept 12th - KYOTO
Sept 13th - KYOTO
Sept 14th - KYOTO
Sept 15th - KYOTO
Sept 16th - KYOTO/TOKYO (FRIENDS EVENT)
Sept 17th - TOKYO (TOKYO GAME SHOW)
Sept 18th - TOKYO (TOKYO GAME SHOW)
Sept 19th - TOKYO/Return to Canada

There are a few things I need to do in Tokyo such as the Tokyo Game Show (17th-18th), and my friend's event (16th).

Would you recommend I go directly to Kyoto when I land in Japan via Shinkansen? I'm already familiar with Tokyo so it would be nice to spend 3 nights in Japan before spending the full week in Kyoto. Then I can finish off my trip back in Tokyo. Suggestions here would be nice.
For Tokyo, I'd like to do a day trip to the HAKONE area, I understand Owakudani is still unaccessable.

Any suggestions for places to see in Kyoto would be nice too. I have been to Arashiyama already, but that's it unfortunately... hotel suggestions are appreciated too. I like business hotels, I've stayed in a Ryokan last time, but this time I don't plan on it.

I will only have one medium sized suitcase and a backpack.
by Ryan1337  

Re: Before I book 10-day trip, please suggest 2016/7/15 10:41
When you travel to Kyoto is totally up to you. I'd probably prefer a few days in Tokyo to start with myself.

For things to do and see in Kyoto, use this website for research. There are also some Kyoto itineraries (under Travel Planning in the top right-hand corner); I recommend the Eastern Kyoto Full Day walking tour. You could also consider some daytrips like Osaka, Nara, Himeji and Hikone.

Re: hotels, first decide what you want to do. Last time I went I stayed in the R&B Hotel right near Kyoto Station, because I was travelling out of the city frequently on day trips (sakura chasing) and so wanted easy access to Kyoto Station. It was also convenient for travelling around Kyoto itself, as buses to various tourist destinations depart from there. Kyoto Station is also interesting in itself, with food courts, a department store and other shops.

For business hotels, Super Hotel, Toyoko Inn and Dormy Inn are the most popular and very reliable. A ryokan in Kyoto will probably cost you a fair bit, especially if you're travelling alone. The hotel I mentioned above, R&B, gave me a good price, served breakfast each morning (simple but good - breads, soups, juices and boiled eggs) and had good-sized rooms.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Before I book 10-day trip, please suggest 2016/7/15 11:01
Bear in mind it could be very very hot in Kyoto that time of year. If you dont like the heat, I'd plan to limit Kyoto time in favour of some other places that might not be quite as hot, eg the surface of the sun.

Personally I am finding Kyoto to be overwhelmed by tourists in the past few years, especially some of what were our favorite areas, such as Kiyomizudera. So I'd give them a miss unless you were going to go first thing in the morning. Fushimi Inari has kept its charm and the area nearby improved a bit IMO and the temples near it are not as crowded. Nara is still great, and Uji is good too. I also like Hikone which has a nice castle and fun town, a fairly short train ride away from Kyoto. I cant help with a place to stay. We usually stay at the Hyatt, which is nice if you want to spoil yourself, but aside from Sangusangendo (sp?) next to it and the mausoleum above the university up from it, the area is pretty dreary.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Before I book 10-day trip, please suggest 2016/7/15 11:35
If you haven't booked the flights yet, maybe getting a flight to Kansai Airport instead of Narita, and the flight back from Narita/Haneda?
That would spare you one shinkansen trip.
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread