Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/20 23:40
I will stay in gunma only.. but i want to go to hakone, kamakura, yokohama, tokyo, kawagoe and nikko. I will go for 9 days. Is it okay if i just stay in gunma and go to these places for a day trip for each place. What is the best pass tu use for transportation? Tq
by Aina (guest)  

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 13:37
If you're needing to stay in Gunma, I'd stay as close to Takasaki Station as possible, as it's the main transportation hub for the prefecture. For all those destinations, you'll have to go through at least Omiya anyway, so you can take the shinkansen to save some time depending on the pass.

It depends a bit on your itinerary, but 3 day Tokyo Wide passes are a good deal, and cover the transportation to and from Takasaki as well as to those other destinations, with a few exceptions (some Nikko trains, Hakone goes only as far as Odawara). Read more about it here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html

Otherwise, take a look at the list of passes on this website for smaller individual passes that might work for you. Note that most of them start in Tokyo, so you'd have to pay for Takasaki to Tokyo then go from there for the most part, which might not be as economical. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 17:29
For the amount of travel you wanna do. I would consider a nation wide pass of some description.

Takasaki to Tokyo is 90 mins by regular train, 60 mins by Shinkansen.
Takasaki to Odawara is about 3.5 hours by regular train, 1.75 hours by shinkansen.

Note that if you go by shinkansen to Odawara, a Tokyo wide pass will not cover the shinkasen Tokyo to Odawara. Hence why I suggest investigating a nation wide pass.

You really just need to get on hyperdia and calculate your trips of non-shinkansen vs shinkansen and see whether costs and travel times are suitable.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 18:04
A Tokyo Wide Pass (or two) will cover all of your trip except Hakone and is a better deal than the nationwide pass for your itinerary. You can supplement it with a Hakone Free Pass from Shinjuku to cover the Hakone portion.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 18:34
The express train that you can use on the Hakone free pass take 85-90mins. Plus you'll have an extra transfer at Shinjuku.

So if a regular Shonan-Shinjuku Line train from Tokyo to Odawara takes 90 mins and is covered by a Tokyo Wide pass. Buying a return fare Hakone pass 5640 yen from Shinjuku is wasted money.

Just ride a regular JR East train to Odawara and get the 4000 yen Hakone pass.

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 18:53
Ok now i have the idea. Is there any website or application that provide time and cost for the train, like from A station to B station cost xxxyen..
by Aina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 18:59
Takasaki to... (One way)

Location / non-shinkansen /skinkansen / time saved (One way)

Kawagoe / 1490 / 4220 / 30 mins
Odawara / 3020 / 8270 / 90 mins
Kamakura / 2590 / 5780 / 30 mins
Yokohama / 2270 / 5490 / 30 mins
Tokyo / 1940 / 5130 / 30 mins
Nikko / 3020 / 8470 / 90 mins

add all those together and you get 28660 just for the non shinkensan options. Add another Tokyo day and you are past the 29,460 cost of a 7 day national pass.

Say if you get a 7 day pass and pay for the other 2 tokyo days separately, you'll pay 33720.

3x 10,000 yen 3D tokyo wide passes = 30,000 yen, so this is a cheaper option. But you will take an extra hour to travel to Odawara on your Hakone day.

The calculations are assuming you will be traveling every day. If say you are staying with a friend and you don't travel to one day of your nine days, then the 33720 calculation lowers by almost 4000 yen.

Hope that helps.

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 19:09
Sorry, 33720 calculation should be 36320 yen.

7 day pass + 1940x2 tokyo + 1490x2 Kawagoe = 36320 yen.

Still minus almost 4000 if staying home with friend etc.

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 19:53
So if a regular Shonan-Shinjuku Line train from Tokyo to Odawara takes 90 mins and is covered by a Tokyo Wide pass. Buying a return fare Hakone pass 5640 yen from Shinjuku is wasted money.

Sorry I should have explained in more detail. Since the Tokyo Wide Pass is a 3 day pass, you could get two of them to cover all the non-Hakone sights, and then pay for regular trains to/from Shinjuku and get a Hakone Free Pass from there for your Hakone visit. This presumes that you won't be doing day trips on your arrival/departure days in which you can take regular trains to/from the airport. Overall this will save you about 3000-4000 yen over a nationwide pass and give you the flexibility to take rest days in between if you so choose. The ability to rest in between may in fact be the biggest perk considering a week straight visiting the places on your list will be quite tiring.

Ok now i have the idea. Is there any website or application that provide time and cost for the train, like from A station to B station cost xxxyen..

This is the best:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

Google maps is also fairly good for getting an overview, but I trust hyperdia more. Still too many quirky flaws for me to use it exclusively yet.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 19:56

Yes! Use Hyperdia.com for English to work out how much each train journey will cost, then use that information to decide which pass is best for you.

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 20:11
You guys are very helpful. Tq,, but how about the seishun 18 ticket? Is it worth instead of shinkansen ?
by Aina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/21 22:56
Seishun 18 ticket might be a good fit if you're on a budget and not concerned about the time spent on the train. With the Tokyo Wide Pass, one of the great benefits is being able to use the shinkansen, which makes traveling fast and easy, but considering the distances you're traveling (Kanto area only basically), what you save in money might be more worth it to you than what you save in time. You'll have to consider which is more valuable for you.

Do note that the Seishun 18 isn't available year round; there are certain periods when you can buy it, and certain periods when you can use it throughout the year, so if you do want to use it, make sure your travel dates fall within those periods.

Re: Transportation in Gunma 2016/7/22 07:28
Seishun 18 Keppu would be a great option as noted by earlier poster.

It is only available certain times per year. That ticket works out to be around 2300 yen per day. If you look at my early post, the non shinkansen costing range from 3000 yen per day and upwards.

Do note though that using local and rapid trains to Nikko will take 3.5 hours one way, 1.75 hours with combo of shinkansen and local. And 3 hours one way to Odawara, or 2.5/1.75 hours with mixture of shinkansen and local.

The rest of you proposed day trips, the difference was only 30 minutes when not using shinkansen.

Maybe use a Tokyo Wide pass for your Nikko, Hakone and one other day. And use the Seishun 18 pass for your other days.

reply to this thread