Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dewa Sanzen / Nyuto Onsen - Evil Insects? 2016/7/24 22:14
I intend to hike during July / August in the area of Dewa Sanzen between the three mountains and also in Nyuto Onsen going per feet through the woods and check out some secret hidden onsens in the mountains.

However i read that July and August is the worst time for japan considering poisonous insects, especially due to Suzumebachi (スズメバチ、雀蜂、胡蜂) and Mukade (ムカデ、百足) being more frequent.

On the other hand, i think those areas are quite high up, so maybe this is no problem after all? What is your opinion for those two areas?

Also i would like to know: is it common for hikers to take some kind of emergency medication with them?

(In case there is such thing at all for those critters?. If yes, what would you recommend? Can i buy it in departments or do i need to go to some kind of pharmacy?)

Thank you very much for your input!
by Glimpigumpi  

Re: Dewa Sanzen / Nyuto Onsen - Evil Insects? 2016/7/26 16:09
ah, and wanted to ask about bears too: are they to be found on dewa sanzan or in nyuto area?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Dewa Sanzen / Nyuto Onsen - Evil Insects? 2016/7/26 20:39
Bears can be found throughout the island, but I don't think sightings are common. In Japan, hikers carry bells to ring to scare bears away.

As for insects, mukade seem to get people more when they are stationary (sitting, resting, in their house, etc). If you are hiking, it's highly unlikely for a mukade to bite you.

The advice for the bees is to crouch down, cover your head and stay still like a stone. Then wait until it flies away. They do not usually attack people though and I don't think the Dewa Sanzan will have many (if any).

Personally, I don't think there is really much to worry about.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Dewa Sanzen / Nyuto Onsen - Evil Insects? 2016/7/28 20:04
thank you for your answer:
about the bear bell: is it a special bell or can any small bell (e.g. from one lucky charm from the temples) be used?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Dewa Sanzen / Nyuto Onsen - Evil Insects? 2016/7/29 02:25
I have hiked in Japan in the autumn & seen Suzumebachi buzzing around. They didnt seem that interested in me and if they did get close I just stood still till they lost interest. Regarding bears, the idea of the bell is to make sure you dont accidentally creep up on one & startle it. I didnt have a bell but was told to clap my hands occasionally as that would have the same effect.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread