Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/26 09:02
I will have a JR pass and I am having difficulty figuring the fastest and least number of transfers to go from Kobe to Nara. We will be leaving Kobe Nov 11 in the morning and staying at the Nara Nikko Hotel. Hyperdia has so many station options that I am confused. Any suggestions on my best way to go would be very helpful.
by Blhm  

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/26 11:55
Take the JR Kobe Line from Kobe Station at 09:03 am
Arrive in Osaka Station at 09:28
Change to the JR Yamatoji Line, which leaves at 09:38 (platform 1)
Arrive in Nara (JR) at 10:34

You only change trains once and it's covered by the JR Pass :)

Source: Japanese Yahoo train app (the one most Japanese people use)
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/26 12:24
Thank you for your response. How do I look this up on hyperdia? What are the names of the stations that I would enter? I am hoping to have everything printed out before I leave so I can give it to the agent when reserving a ticket.
by Blhm rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/26 12:51
Those are local trains, you do not reserve on them.

As for the stations, you first need to figure out exactly from where to where you want to go.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/26 13:12
As for the stations, you first need to figure out exactly from where to where you want to go.

That's true. The first answer by ruby is based on you will leave from JR Kobe station. However, JR Kobe is not in the center of Kobe city. Sannomiya (JR) is in the center, and Shin-Kobe (Shinkansen) might be convenient. If you can start from Shin-Kobe, you can ride Shinkansen (fast) train to Kyoto and then take JR Nara line to Nara (JR). Below is the example. If you take Shinkansen, you can avoid the crowd on the commuter trains, although the time is almost identical.

http://goo.gl/9pmzic

If you want to start from Sannomiya, change the "From" box to Sannomiya(JR).

http://goo.gl/dCh7vN

As Firas has already stated, you don't need or can't make reservation on local trains, but if you want to use Shinkansen or Limited express trains, you might better reserve the seat at any JR stations (Sannomiya, Shin-Kobe, etc.).
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/26 14:28
Yeah, I searched Kobe and Nara stations because that's what OP wrote.
It is true that depending on where you stay Sannomiya or Shin-Kobe might be more convenient.

And as they have said before, these are regular trains and no reservation is required.

If you want to go on the Shinkansen you don't really need to reserve tickets either if you have a JR Pass, you can just get on the train and sit on the non-reserved seating area, but you risk having to stand all the way if the train is crowded.
From Shin-Kobe to Kyoto it shouldn't take very long anyway.
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/27 02:16
Thank you everyone for your help. In case this makes a difference to the responses, we are staying at the Kobe Meriken Oriental and the Nikko Nara
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/27 06:28
we are staying at the Kobe Meriken Oriental and the Nikko Nara

Hotel shuttle to Kobe Station.

In Hyperdia, key in "KOBE(HYOGO)" and "NARA" as departue and arrival, respectively.

Most likely, you're going on a Special Rapid Service from Kobe Station (Platform 2), and a transfer at Osaka.

Walk to your Nara hotel.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/27 06:33
Hotel Nikko Nara is just next the JR Nara station so there would be no problem. Kobe Meriken Park Oriental Hotel is far from any train stations. There is a shuttle bus to JR Sannomiya station, but it is not so frequent. Taking taxi to Shin-Kobe or Sannomiya is recommended.

Shin-Kobe Kyoto Nara route

Pros: Shinkansen is comfortable (Shin-Kobe to Kyoto). You can secure your seat if reserved. Less hustle: You can find the right train easily.

Cons: Hikari train is less frequent (once an hour). Considering connection at Kyoto to Miyakoji Rapid train, 9:25 Hikari is the only practical option. Shin-Kobe is somewhat distant from the hotel (around 1500 yen by taxi).

Sannomiya(JR) Osaka by Yamatoji Rapid train.

Pros: Frequent service from Sannomiya(JR) to Osaka. You might be able to take free shuttle bus to Sannomiya.

Cons: Sannomiya(JR) to Osaka is rather crowded.

I would take Shin-Kobe Shinkansen route, but it depends on your preference.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/27 06:46
Hotel shuttle to Kobe Station

No. Hotel shuttle goes to Sannomiya(JR) station.

http://www.kobe-orientalhotel.co.jp/english/access/

To and from Sannomiya Station of JR, Hankyu, Hanshin and subway lines.
Operated everyday.
To and from Shin-Kobe Station  (JR Shinkansen lines)
Operated only on saturdays,sundays and public holidays.

However if you choose non-shinkansen route, you might better go to Kobe(Hyogo) station to get the "new rapid" train. Your chance to get the seat will be increased. Kobe(Hyogo) is somewhat closer than Sannomiya station, although it is still too far to walk so you should take a taxi.

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/27 11:37
Thank you. Maybe we need to rethink our hotel in Kobe to a hotel closer to a train station. If we are only spending one day I don't want to spend my time getting to the hotel and rushing the next morning to go to Nara. What area of the city would be more convenient?
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/27 12:20
What area of the city would be more convenient?

Check the names of the stations mentioned in this thread. Use a web mapping service.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/28 07:16
What area of the city would be more convenient?

If you mean convenient for traveling to Nara using JR pass, it would be around Shin-Kobe station. There is ANA Crowne Plaza just next to Shin-Kobe station. Shin means new, and Shin-somewhere is usually off the city center and not convenient for sightseeing, but Shin-Kobe is exceptional. It is also close to one of the main tourist spots in Kobe, Kitano Ijinkan (Foreigner houses) area.

I searched the room rate and found ANA Crowne Plaza is on the expensive side as compared to Merikenpark Oriental. Which is better depends on the person. Well, I would choose ANA, especially if Shin-Kobe is the gate (in and out) to Kobe.

In Kobe, consider taking City Loop Bus.

http://www.kctp.co.jp/outline/car/41/

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/28 08:50
That loop bus is perfect. And it goes right past the original hotel in question.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/28 09:05
Thank you but after looking at the price difference it is too expensive
by Barabar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train from Kobe to Nara 2016/7/28 10:45
Thank you hakata for your follow up.

Barabar, yes, ANA Crowneplaza is expensive on this date. In general, these two hotels are the best hotels in Kobe while the Merikenpark Oriental is more popular, based on the rating of the Rakuten (largest Japanese booking site). Maybe this is because of the autumn foliage season in Kyoto: Shin-Kobe is just 30 min away from Kyoto if you get Shinkansen.

As hakata wrote, the Loop Bus take you to Merikenpark Oriental, so this hotel is convenient for sightseeing. The next day you must take taxi or shuttle bus, but the price difference might justify your choice. Anyway, it will be a nice season. Enjoy your trip!

reply to this thread