Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 12:01
Hi everyone
I will be in Tokyo 17-21 of Aug
21-24 Aug in Osaka
and 24-27 back in Tokyo.

I was thinking of just buying a 7 day pass in stead of 14 days, but is it worth buying the pass or should I just buy a return shinkansen to osaka from Tokyo and just buy tickets for local trains when I travel to close places.

Also is it worth buying the Green pass?
Thanks!
by JK (guest)  

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 13:00
or should I just buy a return shinkansen to osaka from Tokyo and just buy tickets for local trains when I travel to close places.

This.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 13:11
Ignore the above response by fairez and get a 7 day pass to use from 21-27 Aug, thereby covering the round trip and transport to the airport.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 13:27
Find the cost of your trips using Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en), then add them up and compare the total cost to the cost of a JR Pass.

A 14-day Pass will be way too expensive. Check your costs to see if a 7-day Pass pays off. We don't know exactly where you're going; the only things you've told us are Osaka-Tokyo and Tokyo-Osaka.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 16:47
I would not ignore any advice or suggestions. We really dont know anything about your trip.

A suggestion was to have a rail pass to cover you return trip to the airport. For all we know, you could be staying in Kamata and flying out or Haneda. Hardly worth a days use of a rail pass for example.

You have 11 days of travel. ridng around on buses and train should/may cost 1000 per day. so 11000 yen.

You can get cheaper platt kodama tickets for 10,100 yen for your shinkansen travel, two of them return equals 20,200.

31,200 total...

JR 7D rail pass = 29,460

Pay an extra 1740 yen (above example) for the other 4 days not covered by the 7D rail pass?

Will you be using private railways and/or non JR lines while in Kyoto-Osaka? If so, that is more money spend on top of a rail pass that you wont use for the day.

Just get on Hyperdia and do some costings. Hyperdia does only show the highest price available, so if you do use deals like the platt kodama deals, you'll need to self adjust those.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 17:02
Where are you going during that period? in Osaka and Tokyo?
If you only just stay at hotel/home/office, you don't need them for sure.
Correct, you have to calculate your cost during the whole trip, check the price by hyperdia, then you may compare to the JRPass price, so you can decide whether need to or not.
by Wang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/27 17:29
Just buy the pass.

Or buy a 14 day pass.

Or, and this is only a suggestion, maybe try looking up the costs on Hyperdia?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/28 00:01
Don't buy a pass just because you are told. We are all walking in the dark with regard to your exact itinerary.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/28 01:26
but is it worth buying the pass or should I just buy a return shinkansen to osaka from Tokyo

Depends what JR trips you plan to make. It it's just Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo, then no, there are cheaper options.

Note also that Hyperdia only lists the full fare, so it's not always an accurate measure of what you c
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth buying a JR 7 day rail pass 2016/7/28 01:28
but is it worth buying the pass or should I just buy a return shinkansen to osaka from Tokyo

Depends what JR trips you plan to make. It it's just Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo, then no, there are cheaper options.

Note also that Hyperdia only lists the full fare, so it's not always an accurate measure of what you would actually pay, since some discount fares other than the JR Pass exist as well. Those two, for example

http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTO1/?GN_tours
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread