Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica 2016/7/27 12:03
Hello

I'm going with my family ( we are 7) to Japan for 17 days
we are going to visit Tokyo and Osaka only

As its our first trip to Japan Im really confused with Suica thing.. Do you think I should get JR pass or Suica is enough (I prefer suica tho)?

Can I use all Metro/train lines with Suica only? If there are few lines that I can't use suica can you please mention them?
Also can I use suica for limited express train? for example I'm planning to visit Yokohama for one day and back in the same day. Can I use suica? If not what would you suggest?

Does JR lines costs more than regular subways/metros?

About Osaka, I'm going there by bullet train do I have to purchase tickets before travelling or can I buy it in the same day of travelling?

Thanks!
by gapi7  

Re: Suica 2016/7/27 13:16
by Do some research ffs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica 2016/7/27 13:25
Do you think I should get JR pass or Suica is enough (I prefer suica tho)?

Your call.

Can I use all Metro/train lines with Suica only? If there are few lines that I can't use suica can you please mention them?
Also can I use suica for limited express train? for example I'm planning to visit Yokohama for one day and back in the same day. Can I use suica? If not what would you suggest?

Refer to the article on IC cards http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

The fares are competitive.

About Osaka, I'm going there by bullet train do I have to purchase tickets before travelling or can I buy it in the same day of travelling?

No advance reservation required.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Suica 2016/7/27 13:26
All your questions can be answered in the transport section of this website - I suggest you read it. You've got lots of questions, so doing some research will really help you understand.

A JR Pass is for long-distance travel. A Suica (a type of IC card) is for short distance travel.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica 2016/7/27 13:26
All your questions can be answered in the transport section of this website - I suggest you read it. You've got lots of questions, so doing some research will really help you understand.

A JR Pass is for long-distance travel. A Suica (a type of IC card) is for short distance travel.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica 2016/7/27 15:13
As its our first trip to Japan Im really confused with Suica thing..

No worries, passes and suica are quite confusing for first time travelers.

Do you think I should get JR pass or Suica is enough (I prefer suica tho)?

Depends on how long you'll be in Osaka. If its less than 7 days then a JR Pass will likely pay off. Otherwise, you'll be better off using Suica for local transport and then buying regular train tickets for the Tokyo-Osaka journey. Please note, that the Suica can't be used for long distance travel. You'll need actual tickets or a pass for that.

You can use suica on virtually all of the lines in Tokyo and Osaka, with a very limited number of exceptions. No point listing them though, it would be better to know your itinerary first.

Yes

Depends on the routes, but they are comparable. Doesn't matter too much though on most routes, just take the faster/more convenient one for your destination. That usually ends up being cheaper anyway.

You can but it up to a few minutes before departure. However, I would recommend getting tickets earlier if you will be travelling by reserved seating so that you can have more options to sit together. It can get a bit full the closer you get to the departure time.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread