Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/28 14:33
Hi, we are going to Japan from the 26th Sept - 13th October. It is everybody's first time to Japan and we will have an almost 1 year old baby and 4 year old son.

Our accommodation, all booked via AIRBNB is as follows;
26th - 3rd (7 nights) in Shibuya Tokyo
3rd - 7th (4 nights) Kyoto
7th-10th (3 nights) Tsuyama (completely random we know, we are staying in an artists house in a rural area which was strongly recommended by a good friend. Plan is to ride bikes and unwind after the chaos of Tokyo/Kyoto)
Then we have the 10-13th which we are yet to book accomodation for - was thinking Tokyo so we are near airport.

Does this itinerary sound reasonable? I feel 7 nights in Tokyo may be excessive so id love ideas to keep us busy and possible day trip suggestions. We have Disneyland, kidzania, and Lego land already in mind but not sure how much time these will take up.
A few other questions are;
Are there many parks in Tokyo to let the kids run around during the day?
Are high chairs easily available?
Is Osaka a must see with kids?

Thank you in advance :)
by Kirsten (guest)  

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/28 22:01
(For me) 7 days in Tokyo out of a 17 day trip is a long time.

However, if you feel the need of a break, you can always do some day trips (see the section on the main Japan Guide - there's plenty of options within a couple of hours of Tokyo, and you can always make a decision at the last minute).

Re. activities with kids, you maybe want to have a look at the Childrens' Science Museum (on the edge of a park, as well, so you get two things for the price of one), or take them to see Asimo at the Miraikan?

In my experience, the 1 yr old will be happy to be with you, whatever you're doing. It's the 4 yr old who you may feel the need to specifically plan for.

For me, if spending a long time in Tokyo, I wouldn't bother with Osaka and instead I'd go to a smaller city (it sounds like you're already planning some rural time), or go to the mountains, or do any other thing that gives you some variety (?go to the Nagano area and see the monkeys in the onsen, perhaps?).

I'd give some serious consideration to one or two nights in one or two onsen ryokans. Our little one has been to Japan 3 times (at age 3, 4, and 6) and every time this was one of the things she most enjoyed. The bathing, the dressing up in a yukata, and the sleeping on the floor with Mum and Dad, was a real joyful experience for her.

I guess the other thing you want to think about (if you haven't already) is how you're going to get two kids around the place. Tokyo isn't all that stroller-friendly. There are several question threads on this topic that you can search for (as well as all sorts of other useful topics like where to buy nappies and baby food).

Our experience in general was that Japan is a great place to take a child. I'm sure you'll all love it.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 06:54
High chairs are not readily available.

Osaka is not a must see if you have kids.

All of Japan, not just Tokyo have lots of parks for kids to run around.

Tsuyama has a newly built rail museum at their old turntable. Kids should like it, especially if boys.

http://www.tsuyamakan.jp/en/sight/index.html

My last trip was with a 6yo, 3yo and 11 month old. Navigating Japan was fine, you have one less so should be easier. For feeding times, we just had dad hold bub and mum feed baby.

I like the look of your trip. The few days in Tsuyama is great. Many visitors don't see places like this.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 10:07
Thank you both for taking the time to respond! I will look into all of your suggestions, and yes we will certainly be basing our activities around our 4 year olds interests.

As for getting around I have an ergo to carry baby and will possibly to take a small umbrella stroller. Our 4 year old is generally happy to walk around / piggy back if necessary

A few more questions;
•Is Mount Fuji a good day trip with the kids?
•Disneysea vs Disneyland??
•Given we are there in Autumn, where will we find the best scenery to see autumn leaves?

Thanks again
by Kirsten (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 10:11
Also, it has been suggested we purchase a JR pass. I've looked into them and they are obviously quite expensive so I only want to purchase if completely necessary and if it's going to save us money. We will need a 14 day pass and as I understand it, they don't cover travel within the subway? So we will need it Narita - Tokyo - Kyoto - Tsuyama - Tokyo - Narita.
Will it also help with day trips from Tokyo and Kyoto if we travel outside of there?

Sorry I sound very naive (probably because I am). I'm finding organising the travel to Japan very overwhelming l.

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 11:09
Hi. You could activate a 7 day pass just before your kyoto leg and get better value for money.

I pretty much agree 7 days in Shibuya is a long time. I spent 4 nights there and it was way too long. It is OK if you like shopping. As a base for all of Tokyo it is fine, but I'd still break it up with a night at Nikko and maybe Hakone.

Dont miss Nara when you are on your Kyoto leg. Your kids will love the deer.

When you come back to Tokyo, I'd stay a couple of nights at Kamakura or Enoshima. Enoshima is my favorite place near Tokyo and it is handy to the NEX. It has hawks, cats, squirrels, and dragons, also decent restaurants and views of Fuji. Then it is a seaside train ride from the historical sights of Kamakura. All together, a really special place to spend the last few nights.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 11:57
Decent restaurants? Most of all of Japan has decent restaurants.

I agree with the 7 days in Tokyo being too long. Even if I was spending a month in Japan, I would try not to have more than 3 days in Tokyo. And you want to spend the tail-end of your trip here. Please do not. Tokyo is crowded and packed. Please go to a less busy part of the country.

Kyoto does need some unwinding. Especially with so many sights. However, as you would be going in non-sakura and non-autumn seasons there would be lesser crowds. Furthermore, with kids you probably wouldn't be covering that much so it would not be hectic. Kyoto has the feeling of calm and aesthetics. Zen if you would. So for this particular trip, unwinding from Kyoto is not as much a problem as unwinding from Tokyo.

I would recommend a place like Nagoya that has a few large empty spaces with trees (that we sometimes call parks). The science museum is good interactive fun for any child (and adult). Furthermore, it is between Kyoto and Tokyo making for no detours.

Good to know would be what your child likes to do. Some really love the great outdoors. As previously mentioned there are national parks with mountains easily accessible from anywhere in Japan.

I concur with going to places like Nikko and Kamakura just to chill out. Another option would be Karuizawa, a western-style Japanese resort in the highlands.

Since you are heading to Tsuyama you may want to see the sights nearby like Okayama's garden... the bunny island... or a slightly further trip to Hiroshima (would make a 14 day JR day pass worthwhile).
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 14:05
Thank you for your feedback. I've contacted our accommodation for Tokyo and they are allowing us to reduce it by a few days so I'm now trying to find somewhere for two nights between Tokyo & Kyoto! I had wanted to go to Takayama but I think that will be too out of the way.

Re: 17 days in Japan with kids 1 & 4 2016/7/29 15:45
Not at all, and it is one of the best train trips IMO.

Shinkansen to Nagoya, then the Wideview Hida to Takayama (see if you can get the reserved seats up the front for the better view). Dont be surprised when the train sets off backwards from Nagoya.

It is a great trip and Takayama is a fun town. There is a squirrel park a little way out of town. We've stayed at Tanabe Ryokan (awesome) and Hotel Associa (great).

I'd go on to Kanazawa (either by bus via Shirakawa or by train to Toyama then the Thunderbird to Kanazawa) and see Kenrokuen before catching the Thunderbird back to Kyoto.

That would let you see some really nice parts of Japan.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread