Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naoshima & The Setouchi Triennale 2016 2016/8/4 09:53
Hello,

I'm heading to Naoshima and the surrounding islands next week. I'm pretty flexible and imagine I'll have a few days to see the art, and slowly take in the sights.

I have seen that there's a pretty good ferry network connecting all the islands, and I'm wonderinhg where would be a good place to base myself. (I'm hoping to stay somewhere reasonable, maybe a minshuku. )

Should I base myself in Uno? Takamatsu? On one of the smaller islands? I will be travelling around by bus and bicycle, I think that'll make a big difference.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
Cheers,
Paul
by bigpaulc  

Re: Naoshima & The Setouchi Triennale 2016 2016/8/4 19:39
Takamatsu is the best place.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima & The Setouchi Triennale 2016 2016/8/5 08:24
David,
Thanks for the reply.
Any particular reason you feel that Takamatsu is the best place to base myself?
Cheers,
Paul
by bigpaulc rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima & The Setouchi Triennale 2016 2016/8/5 11:24
Takamatsu is a central location to access all of the islands involved in the event. http://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/access/

And if you ever get bored of the islands (god forbid!) , you have easy train access to do sightseeing in other parts of Kagawa.

Also more accommodation options in the city itself. A friend recently stayed at this place and she couldn't seem to recommend it enough : http://wakabaya.main.jp/
by Mayre (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima & The Setouchi Triennale 2016 2016/8/9 13:31
I stayed on Shodoshima, Naoshima & Takamatsu. Takamatsu was the more central port but the other islands had more charm. I was there 7 days and went to 7 islands .Favorites were Naoshima, Inujima and Teshima for art and museums.
by Karen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naoshima & The Setouchi Triennale 2016 2016/8/10 00:29
For Naoshima it doesn't matter whether you stay in Uno or Takamatsu, but for "other islands" as you mention, Takamatsu will be the more convenient port.

Uno offers access to Naoshima, Teshima and Takamatsu only as far as I know. Inujima is most easily accessible from Okayama. Shodoshima can be accessed from Okayama or Takamatsu, but Takamatsu Port is right there near the station whereas Shin-Okayama Port requires a bus to reach (not difficult, and relatively frequent but a bus nonetheless).

The other islands are all only accessible from Takamatsu (Megijima, Ogijima, Oshima, Shamijima) and Kagawa Prefecture (Awashima, Takamijima, Ibukijima).
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread