Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kiso valley alone - bears danger? 2016/8/6 14:01
hello. i'm going to matsumuto in october and would like to go to the kiso valley for a day trip.
i wanted to know if is it dangerous to travel there alone because of the bears/?
thank you
by noga mudrik  

Re: kiso valley alone - bears danger? 2016/8/6 17:53
A long time ago when I googled the Kiso Valley, I found many blogs of trekkers that have done the trails alone. These was no mention of bears in their blogs.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: kiso valley alone - bears danger? 2016/8/7 01:43
I have never seen a bear on the route and wouldnt worry about them. If you stop at the trail office in either Magome or Tsumago you can get a bell to ring occasionally and hand in at the other end of your hike. There are also a few bells on trees on the trail. If bells are not available then you can clap every now & then instead.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: kiso valley alone - bears danger? 2016/8/7 02:04
thank you very much both!
by noga mudrik rate this post as useful

Re: kiso valley alone - bears danger? 2016/8/7 08:01
There are bears all over Japan, and there are attacks and deaths. I do not know of Kiso Valley specifically, but if there are officials you can ask about the dangers at the time, then that would be a sensible thing to do.

Treking alone, that sounds more dangerous - make sure your plans are lodged with someone.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread