Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Fuji early Sept, choosing trail 2016/8/7 18:34
Hi all

Sorry for the short question that might not make sense.
I will be in Japan for work, and I may have a week off before returning home.
I'm planning to climb Fuji (alone; so ronery) at any day in between 5-8 Sept, to see sunrise at summit.
Im 32-male, somewhat enjoys trail walking (ie hike Asahidake etc) but i dont consider myself a climber. Will it be ok for me, doing this solo (n tag along some other climbers)?
I have read the Climb Fuji page and some previous threads, but most of the threads, the poster pretty much have decided where to start and end.

I have been to Kawaguchiko, but have not been to Hakone n other places arount mt Fuji. The last day of my work coverage is Sept 3rd (Sat), I will be from Fujisawa. Any recommendation where i should start (ie Should I check out Mishima, .. etc) and which trail to take and maybe end near Hakone? I am ok to start from Hakone too, or even skip Hakone (can do it next time) if theres more interesting places and trail.
I like visiting interesting Japanese towns n villages.

Clothing wise, is ski jacket and pants excessive towards the summit? I'm considering finding a used set from hardoff since im in market for my future winter snowboard trip.

I have not decided if i need a hut for overnight sleep. Are there places where climbers can sit to rest before continuing climbs along trails?

I will try to pack light for this climb (only necessary gear), so i will do some arrangement with hostel or takyubin for my other bag.

Thanks a lot.

ps: i've visited japan few times already, but i still cant read and write.
by ejump0  

Re: Climbing Fuji early Sept, choosing trail 2016/8/8 16:43
From what i understand staying overnight in a home is essential so as to not freeze to death. I also understand that little children and young women have made the climb. The climb is not particularly strenuous and there are people who purchase mini oxygen tanks to prevent altitude sickness.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji early Sept, choosing trail 2016/8/8 17:52
I will be from Fujisawa. Any recommendation where i should start (ie Should I check out Mishima, .. etc) and which trail to take and maybe end near Hakone?

I recommend to take the Subashiri or Kawaguchiko routes because they are shorter than the Gotemba route and are have better access by bus than the Fujionomiya route. But you could consider hiking down the Gotemba route.

I am ok to start from Hakone too

Hakone is kilometers away from Mount Fuji. Please read about the basics here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html

Clothing wise, is ski jacket and pants excessive towards the summit? I'm considering finding a used set from hardoff since im in market for my future winter snowboard trip.

It depends on the weather of the day. If it is cold and windy, then a ski jacket is not excessive.

I have not decided if i need a hut for overnight sleep. Are there places where climbers can sit to rest before continuing climbs along trails?

Yes, most huts allow hikers to sit down and have some drinks or snacks. Of course, it is not free.

From what i understand staying overnight in a home is essential so as to not freeze to death.

If you hike through the night and bring appropriate clothing, you will not freeze to death. Ten thousands of people are doing it. However, it is a very long hike, and hiking without a break increases the risk of injury. Therefore, hiking through the night is strongly discouraged by the authorities.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji early Sept, choosing trail 2016/8/8 19:43
http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/season/index.html

The trail schedule to Sept 10th, so please go before this time.
That link have a lots of information for choosing the route.

Bring warm clothes because on the summit it's will be very cold. About 0 degrees celsius plus freezing winds.

You dont have to stay at the mountain hut, there are benches at every mountain hut outside the hut. And you can start climb at evening to reach the summit without staying.

I will try to pack light for this climb (only necessary gear), so i will do some arrangement with hostel or takyubin for my other bag.

Pack light is ok, but please bring a lots of WATER, when I climbed I dont know that on the way down they DONT sell water at the stop. They are toilet stop.
by VinhGalaxyS2 rate this post as useful

Re: Climbing Fuji early Sept, choosing trail 2016/8/21 22:13
Thanks jh, Uji and VG for the responses, especially the fujisan link regarding climb-plan submission etc.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, my business trip is postponed. Gotta figure out how to meet the 10Sept deadline climb.

For attire, i plan to drop the idea of using ski-gears, and plan with multi layers being added as i ascent (compression shirt+tights, uniqlo heat-tech stuff, drifit jersey+pants, uniqlo fleece jacket, and have columbia waterproof windbreaker as outer shell).

I still have not decided with route to take. Still doing my homework on which town to stop for sightseeing prior to ascent and after descent.
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread