Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I need a phone that will work overseas 2016/8/9 09:09
Hi,

Firstly I would like to put the emphasis on the fact that I NEED to buy a phone. And I'm currently living in Japan, and this phone need to be 2nd hand because I'm awfully poor (so no: "you should wait blalabla")

So here it is:

I'm in need of a phone that will work on european network and that can be unlocked.

I would like to know which phone from which provider would work and which provider will unlock the phone.

I already know that sofbank won't do it,
that Docomo will do it only with the original owner (so docomo won't work for me either).
So I guess I only have Au ?

I think I read somewhere that Iphone might work worldwide ut they are unsimlockable... So that takes of the Iphone I guess !

If you can also avoid telling me "go with already unlocked" because those are expensive and I just can't afford them ! (unless they are under 14 000 yen)

Here are the network I can use back home:
2G : GSM 900 ; 1800.
3G : WCDMA. 900 MHz; 2100 MHz.
4G: LTE-FDD. 800; 1800; 2600 MHz.

This is all I know. Can you indicates me what brand, model and with which provider I should go ?

Sorry if I sound arch but I've been looking through websites and forum for hours and I just don't understand about the MHz thing that might work or not ! (same goes with providers actually)

Alexandrya
by alexandrya (guest)  

Re: I need a phone that will work overseas 2016/8/9 14:54
And I'm currently living in Japan, and this phone need to be 2nd hand because I'm awfully poor (so no: "you should wait blalabla")

You might actually want to consider new phones too since they can be really inexpensive or free even. Even if you get a nicer model, the payments are usually split over time which may be better than a big payment all at once for a used phone.

I'm in need of a phone that will work on european network and that can be unlocked.

Most current contract phones in Japan fit this requirement. Cheaper prepaids probably do not.

I would like to know which phone from which provider would work and which provider will unlock the phone.

All providers, with a few caveats, unlock phones at this time.

I already know that sofbank won't do it,
that Docomo will do it only with the original owner (so docomo won't work for me either).
So I guess I only have Au ?

Second hand phones may not be able to be unlocked, but all carriers have unlockable phones if you buy new.

I think I read somewhere that Iphone might work worldwide ut they are unsimlockable... So that takes of the Iphone I guess !

There many models of iphone. Most will work worldwide, but not all are unlockable in Japan. Basically anything iphone 6 and later should be unlockable, while some earlier models from docomo and au are also unlockable.

If you can also avoid telling me "go with already unlocked" because those are expensive and I just can't afford them ! (unless they are under 14 000 yen)

What are your exact needs in your phone model? Prices vary a lot with smartphones tending to be more expensive for example.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: I need a phone that will work overseas 2016/8/10 01:44
If you are travelling to Europe, why not rent or buy a cheap phone when you get there?
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I need a phone that will work overseas 2016/8/10 10:49
can you get a two-year contract with major companies like docomo ?
are you eligible for buying a voice sim in Japan ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I need a phone that will work overseas 2016/8/10 17:59
A lot of cheap phones can be used in Europe, but if you're looking for cheap phone bills, then you might want to consider things like Skype or Facebook to talk verbally with people around the world while in Europe.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread