Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Sept 2016 Itinerary 2016/8/15 00:48
I am planning a solo trip using JR pass from Sept 3rd to Sept 17. I am planning to include Rebun in my itinerary. So on Day 3 I plan to visit Furano and Biei. After that take the evening train Biei - Asahikawa - Wakkanai. On Day 4 - I plan to take the 1st ferry to Rebun.

My questions:
1. In early Sept, is Furano still worth the visit, because are the flowers still blooming? Or should I just explore Biei?
2. Is it possible to explore Biei using a bicycle and cover its attraction points?
3. If I were to follow the above plan, I will be arriving in Wakkanai at 11.00pm. Is there any cheap accommodation options nearby the station? Or can I just sleep at the train station? Since I will be arriving quite late and I am a lady travelling alone, I would prefer not to wander around at night looking for my accom. and would rather stay at the station if they allow it.

by Hana.H (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido Sept 2016 Itinerary 2016/8/15 18:02
Furano and Biei and getting to Wakkanai in a day sounds daunting. I would only do Biei. Furano landscape is mostly farmland and open fields. The former you can see while on the train. The latter you can see in Biei. Regardless that is one hectic plan.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Sept 2016 Itinerary 2016/8/15 18:28
I love Rebun island since it is very different from other part of Japan. Some says it is like Ireland. I guess you are from hot country, and if this is the case, you will also enjoy Rebun. However, if the weather is not good, Rebun is quite boring. All you can see will be white fog and it will be freezing cold. Therefore I recommend you to check the weather, and if it will be sunny the next day, just hop on the train to Wakkanai.

Is there any cheap accommodation options nearby the station? Or can I just sleep at the train station?

There are many hotels, ryokans and minshukus around the train station, but they are not so cheap (not so expensive as well). I checked on Tribago for 5th Sept, and the price is from around 5000 yen.

Since I will be arriving quite late and I am a lady travelling alone, I would prefer not to wander around at night looking for my accom.

Of course you should not do. You should book your accommodation beforehand. If you cannot find, then you shouldn't go (This is quite unlikely to occur since September is not the busy season for Wakkanai).

and would rather stay at the station if they allow it.

Do you mean within the station? No, it is not allowed.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Sept 2016 Itinerary 2016/8/15 18:33
I've stayed at this hotel in a Japanese style room and thought it was excellent and centrally located. https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g298155-d1117811-Reviews-H...
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Sept 2016 Itinerary 2016/8/18 00:50
Thank you all for your replies!

After much researching, I think I have a draft itinerary ready. I am thinking of taking the one week JR pass and use it in my second week of travel to get me to Tokyo as my flight back will be from Narita. Additionally I made this decision because I plan to spend a few days visiting the national parks in which I cannot use the JR pass.
So, the most economical and time saving way that I can think of is to use night buses as I can save on accommodation as well.
During my visit in Hokkaido, my main point of interests are Rebun Island, Shiretoko and Daisetsuzan. I plan to take the night bus for Wakkanai and Utoro from Saporo. The order of which I will visit these 2 places depends on the weather forecast which I will check before buying the tickets for Wakkanai and Utoro.

-Week 1: No JR pass-
3-Aug Arrives in New Chitose Airport at 8.10am
- explore Sapporo
- take night bus to Wakkanai
4-Aug Rebun
- do Flower walk or other short walks
5-Aug Rebun
- do 8 hours walk
6-Aug Rebun / explore Wakkanai
- Take night bus to Sapporo"
7-Aug visit Sapporo/ Otaru
- Take night bus to Utoro
8-Aug Shiretoko
- Shiretoko goko
9-Aug Shiretoko
- hike Mt Rausu

-Week 2: Start using JR pass-
10-Aug Shiretoko - Kamikawa (overnight in Kamikawa)
11-Aug Biei - Furano (overnight in Asahikawa)
12-Aug Asahidake Onsen (overnight in Asahidake Onsen)
13-Aug hike Asahidake (take last bus to Asahikawa, overnight in Asahikawa)
14-Aug Hakodate
15-Aug Aomori/ Hirosaki
16-Aug Tokyo

-JR pass ends-
17-Aug Tokyo; Departs Narita at 9.40pm
====================================================
My questions are:
1) I need a back up plan for week 1 in case I have to cancel either Rebun or Shiretoko due to bad weather or bus tickets being sold out. What other locations can I access using a night bus? I know there is Kushiro, but just wondering if there are other options? Any suggestions?
2) Need some recommendations for budget accommodation/ hostels in Shiretoko from where I can easily access Mt Rausu for the hike. I know of the youth hostel in Iwaobetsu, but is there any other options in case it is full.
3) The dates that I am travelling, are they still considered as still “peak�? I am worried about the overnight bus tickets being sold out. Also, the day that I am planning to travel to Wakkanai is a Saturday. My current plan is to buy the tickets once I have checked the weather forecast.

Please do let me know if you have any comments/ suggestions for my itinerary.

Thank you!
by Hana.H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Sept 2016 Itinerary 2016/8/18 00:54
To correct that glitch in my rd question:

"3) The dates that I am travelling, are they still considered as still peak ? .................."
by Hana.H (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread