Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/15 18:00
Okay, so I don't do tricks or anything but I was wondering if it's okay to longboard for travel purposes, like how people bicycle to work, is it okay to go on the street? Is it worth bringing my longboard or should I maybe invest in a bicycle?
by Emi Doll  

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/16 09:33
There is no specific traffic rule concerning skateboard, but there is a rule against "playing balls, roller-skating, or similar act on busy traffic roads," and based on this skateboarding on the streets seems to be cautioned by police (if you happen to bump into a policeman). I do see kids on the streets sometimes when it's not too busy, but considering that bicycles without brakes are prohibited, if you are serious about "traveling," then I would go on a bicycle. Don't underestimate how busy the streets can be in central Osaka. I would not feel safe.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/16 10:29
Thank you for that advice I really appreciate it!! I definitely wouldn't like to cause any trouble of some sort (never was a troublesome person) I'll just invest in a bicycle because it is safer to get around, especially because I don't need to take the train often.
by Emi Doll rate this post as useful

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/16 10:41
Are you coming for studies, or just for traveling? For commuting, having a bicycle might come in handy (depends on the location though), but for traveling you might want to consider how to travel "with" a bicycle if you want to go visit another city - only foldable ones are allowed on most trains - and public transport, meaning buses and trains, are very convenient that I would recommend public means of transport for

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/16 10:41
...traveling/sightseeing, I meant to finish that sentence with :)

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/17 13:51
^ _ ^ Well for me I'm going to be working there, but I will have free time, so I'd like to travel around the city, I didn't know there was foldable bicycles. I most likely won't be visiting other cities, but sometimes different prefectures. My apartment is in walking distance from work (a 20-30 minute walk) so honestly I would like to get to work easier.

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/17 14:44
Oh, so for commuting you want to use your skateboard? If it's not a super-busy streets, it might be OK then. If you commute by bicycle, you have the extra worry about parking your bicycle at work (whether parking is available at all at work, and also the worry about theft). I guess a skateboard can be stored in a locker (if you have one) or under your desk (I don't know how long it is though).

"Different prefectures" would probably mean "other cities," :) you'll probably find public transport very easy to use.

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/21 17:59
I suppose prefectures are smaller cities of a bigger city ahaha. I know a good train system is very useful, so I'll definitely have a rail pass
As far as the longboard goes, it is the average sized one, but I suppose there wouldn't harm in bringing it and figuring it out from there, I'm sure I could store it somewhere.

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/21 21:40
Oh, prefectures are like the states of the US. There are 47 prefectures that make up the whole Japan :) So they are the larger units that may be made up of cities/counties, like Osaka city is part of Osaka prefecture, so is Sakai city. Kobe city is part of Hyogo prefecture, so is Himeji city.

Re: Longboarding (skateboarding) and Osaka 2016/8/23 18:47
Oh I see I see, now I understand better ^ w ^ so prefectures are counties that have multiple cities in the one region.

reply to this thread