Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/15 18:18
One day trip I'm currently planning for Kyoto starts with Nanzenji, then to Kinkakuji, then Toei Studio Park. However, I wonder if Ginkakuji is a more attractive alternative to Nanzenji.
by Positron Reflector  

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/16 09:28
I tend to think so, though it was having renovations recently. The grounds are really pretty, and I find Nanzenji not quite as interesting although the complex is big.

Why not start at Ginkakuji and walk to Nanzenji along the philosopher's path? It only takes about a half an hour at a brisk pace, a bit longer if you stop for food as I always do.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/16 09:33
I don't know if I can fit both of them, as I only have one day, and Kinkaku-ji and Toei Studio Park are rather must-goes for me and my friends.
by Positron Reflector rate this post as useful

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/16 10:22
Then I'd stick with Ginkakuji. Nanzenji takes longer, it is a big complex.

When you are at Kinkakuji, try the okonomiyaki place across from the temple if you have time. It is cramped but a lot of fun.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/16 10:35
Thanks for the tip.

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/16 10:48
I prefer Ginkakuji to Nanzenji, too. The gardens are lovely.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/26 11:58
Speaking of food, could somebody let me know where I can buy some yatsuhashi along the trip? Thanks.

Re: Nanzenji or Ginkakuji? 2016/8/26 16:51
An important consideration is the season. In winter and autumn i would go to Nanzenji. Actually summer too, since it is more shaded than Ginkakuji.
Besides seasonal changes, it truly depends on what you like. Nanzenji has a spacious compound and you can go under the wooden passages common in most other temples.
Ginkakuji has a rack garden and more greenery, though when considering other attractions of Kyoto it is not as zen or peaceful.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread