Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Feb 2017 Itinerary Questions 2016/8/16 04:23
***So, I tried posting to Tripadvisor but the system is not letting me, so hopefully some people on here can help answer some of my questions in the meantime.***

Hello, I am planning quite a long trip to Japan, and was looking for some feedback and advice on my current itinerary. This will be my third time to Japan, but never in the winter time, so I am hoping to catch a glimpse of Japan during a different season. My interests for this trip are below, and should hopefully help guide the discussion:

- Attend as many of the snow festivals as possible
- Stay at ryokans with scenic snowy views outside the rooms
- Pack as many winter activities as possible
- Catch the cherry blossoms at Kawazu
- Do all the things in Japan that can only be done during the winter time

I have broken my plan into three parts, Hokkaido, Central Japan, and Izu. I have also broken out questions I had within each of the sections, to make it easier for people that might only know about one area to help out. The itinerary is below:

Part 1: Northern Japan, Hokkaido

2/3 Arrive in Japan, Train to Hakodate, night in Hakodate
2/4 Explore Hakodate, Travel to Ginkon-yu, night in Ginkon-Yu
2/5 Continue to Otaru, Otaru snow light festival, Night in Otaru
2/6 Travel to Sapporo, Sapporo Snow fes, Night in Otaru
2/7 Travel to Asahikawa, Asahikawa Snow festival, Night in Asahikawa (senshoen)
2/8 Full Day in Asahikawa, Night in Asahikawa (senshoen)
2/9 Travel to Biei, Snowmobile in Biei, Blue Pond, Shirahage Falls, Night in Asahikawa (senshoen)
2/10 Travel to Rusutsu, Explore Rusutsu, Night in Rusutsu (Westin)
2/11 Snowboarding in Rusutsu, Night in Rusutsu (Westin)
2/12 Travel to Tokyo, Night in Tokyo

Part 1 Questions:

1. Are there any good alternatives to Ginkon-yu at Yakumo Onsen? I really like the nature views that this ryokan will have, but it does seem difficult to book this particular place due to having no English booking support. It doesnft have to be at Yakumo Onsen, I do want to have a nice snowy backdrop at the alternative location.

2. Does it make sense to split Otaru and Asahikawa as two separate locations, or should I combine the stays into one hotel, and use that to visit all three snow festivals?

3. Is it possible for me to do everything that I want to do in Biei in the time I allotted, while still staying in Asahikawa, or should I plan to spend a night at Shirogane onsen?

4. Are there any other winter activities that I should try to add in to the current itinerary? Assume that this will be the last trip to Hokkaido that I will make during this time period.

5. Is there a good ryokan that I can stop at on the way back from Tokyo during 2/12, something that similarly looks great during winter time and worth a visit, instead of staying Tokyo?

6. Are there other good spots to go snowmobiling? What are some other winter activities that I can do other than the traditional snowboarding/skiing?

Part 2: Central Japan

2/13 Day in Tokyo, Night in Tokyo
2/14 Leave for Nagano, Night in Nagano (Korakukan)
2/15 Snow Monkey Park, Leave for Kanazawa, Night in Kanazawa (Kanaya)
2/16 Full day in Kanazawa, Garden, etc., Night in Kanazawa (Kanaya)
2/17 Day in Kanazawa, Leave for Kyoto, Night in Kyoto
2/18 Day trip to Himeji, Rest of day in Kyoto, Night in Kyoto

Part 2 Questions:

7. Are there any Valentinefs day events going on that I should check out?

8. Ryokan recommendations for Kyoto?

Part 3: Izu Peninsula

2/19 Travel to Tokyo to meet up with other travel members, Travel to Izu, Night in Isaribi Ryokan
2/20 Travel to Kawazu, Rest of day in Kawazu, Night in Kawazu (Amagiso)
2/21 Full day in Kawazu, Night in Kawazu (Amagiso)
2/22 Kawazu, Travel to Tokyo, Night in Tokyo
2/23 Tokyo
2/24 Tokyo
2/25 Tokyo
2/26 Return Home

Part 3 Questions:

9. Are there any good alternatives to Isaribi? I would like a to stay at a Ryokan that has a view of the ocean and along the way to Kawazu. I was thinking of potentially staying in Atami, but donft know what a good stopover city would be.

10. How long do I need in Kawazu? Do I have too much time allotted to it?

11. Are there any other events/festivals I should check out in the area?

General Questions:

12. Based on my current itinerary, are there any other places to check out along that path I will take that are worth a stop?

13. I am planning on buying a JR 21 day pass, would my trip be worth the cost of the pass? I will be using other forms of transport once the pass runs out, and will activate it once I land in Japan.

14. How do my hotel selections look? I have done the research on the ones I selected, but if people have experiences to share, that would help greatly.

I know this is a long post, but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help out!
by Sean (guest)  

Re: Japan Feb 2017 Itinerary Questions 2016/8/16 13:27
Part 1 Questions:

1. Are there any good alternatives to Ginkon-yu at Yakumo Onsen? I really like the nature views that this ryokan will have, but it does seem difficult to book this particular place due to having no English booking support. It doesnft have to be at Yakumo Onsen, I do want to have a nice snowy backdrop at the alternative location.

Cant help you here. Have you tried using third party hotel booking sites like Jalan, Rakuten, Japanican, Agoda?

2. Does it make sense to split Otaru and Asahikawa as two separate locations, or should I combine the stays into one hotel, and use that to visit all three snow festivals?

Otaru and Asahikawa are very far from each other. Though possible, I wouldn't recommend doing either as a daytrip from each other. Instead I would use Asahikawa for Biei and Furano, and Otaru for Sapporo/Otaru.

3. Is it possible for me to do everything that I want to do in Biei in the time I allotted, while still staying in Asahikawa, or should I plan to spend a night at Shirogane onsen?

For this, you would have to check the train timetables. Wouldn't want to miss the last train back to Asahikawa and be stranded in the middle of the countryside when a blizzard falls. Though, I am sure you can get a taxi in a worst case scenario.

4. Are there any other winter activities that I should try to add in to the current itinerary? Assume that this will be the last trip to Hokkaido that I will make during this time period.

There is always skiing in Niseko.

5. Is there a good ryokan that I can stop at on the way back from Tokyo during 2/12, something that similarly looks great during winter time and worth a visit, instead of staying Tokyo?

You mean back to Tokyo?
Hirosaki? Somewhere else along the shinkansen line? Tohoku is full of nature. Are you not flying?

6. Are there other good spots to go snowmobiling? What are some other winter activities that I can do other than the traditional snowboarding/skiing?

Sledging. tobogganing.

Part 2 Questions:

7. Are there any Valentinefs day events going on that I should check out?

Yes, do check them out. Google? Prices would be off the top. Do make reservations at restaurant to avoid disappointment. Cakes and chocolates would be aplenty.

8. Ryokan recommendations for Kyoto?

Though there are ryokans in Kyoto, I wouldnt recommend them; usually very very expensive. I find a usual western style hotel do by sufficient. Ryokans are more for countryside/nature/small towns IMO. If you can afford though, take a look at Hoshinoya.

Part 3 Questions:
9. Are there any good alternatives to Isaribi? I would like a to stay at a Ryokan that has a view of the ocean and along the way to Kawazu. I was thinking of potentially staying in Atami, but donft know what a good stopover city would be.
Atami is great as it is along the shinkansen line and it has MANY hotels by the beach. However, Isaribi seems to be by the edge of the coast (nearer to the sea). The whole area has this place i like to hang out in. Jonathan's. An american style diner that is open most odd hours.
Ito Onsen is nearby Atami too and has some old-fashioned hotels.

10. How long do I need in Kawazu? Do I have too much time allotted to it?
Day or day+half is sufficient.

11. Are there any other events/festivals I should check out in the area?

Not that i am aware of. Do check with the Tourist Information Counter when you get there or do a Google.

General Questions:

12. Based on my current itinerary, are there any other places to check out along that path I will take that are worth a stop?

There are. Like Takayama, Toyama, Arima Onsen, more time in Kyoto, Kaga onsen, Kusatsu onsen, Ginzan Onsen. The problem is time. Your plan is fully packed and I doubt changing anything would be a good idea.

13. I am planning on buying a JR 21 day pass, would my trip be worth the cost of the pass? I will be using other forms of transport once the pass runs out, and will activate it once I land in Japan.

No planes from Hokkaido to Tokyo?
Use Hyperdia.

14. How do my hotel selections look? I have done the research on the ones I selected, but if people have experiences to share, that would help greatly.

Not stayed in any of those.
If you would like a seaside hotel, though off from where you want to be, is Hotel Urashima at Kii-Katsura. I always love onsen hotels!

I know this is a long post, but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help out!

Okay!
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Feb 2017 Itinerary Questions 2016/8/16 22:42
Thanks! These responses are really helpful! I have had the most trouble with ryokans, since there are several interesting ones that I found but they are not listed on booking sites, making them quite hard to find.
by Sean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Feb 2017 Itinerary Questions 2016/8/16 23:11

You mean back to Tokyo?
Hirosaki? Somewhere else along the shinkansen line? Tohoku is full of nature. Are you not flying?

Yes, we will be taking the train back. Since it is a 4 hour trip back, I was considering a stopover along the shinkansen on the way back to Tokyo. There is also a possibility we can skip Tokyo and go straight to Nagano if there is a good stopover.

Re: Japan Feb 2017 Itinerary Questions 2016/8/17 01:42
Along with jh, I will also give a vote to the Hotel Urashima in Kii-Katsuura. It has six different baths, like to soak in the sea cave ones the best.

As far as "close to Tokyo" places, how about the onsens near Nikko. Yunishigawa Onsen has a snow festival, where they build snow houses. Here are some links:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3882.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3883.html

I also think Zao Onsen may be someplace that you might want to go. The "Snow Monsters" look cool:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7927.html

The other link would be to Nagashima Park in Nagoya. I am mentioning it for the winter illumination. The illumination is called Nabana no Sato. Here is a report from a few years back:

http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/scott/121127.html

These may be things that you might want to add. I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Feb 2017 Itinerary Questions 2016/8/17 04:51
Thanks, these are some great options! Since some of these ryokans are in rural areas and not listed on any booking site, what would be the best way to book them? Are there services that will help you book these ryokans?

reply to this thread