Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel by JR pass 2016/8/16 06:58
My schedule is

Day 1 Osaka Airport to Kyoto
Day 2 Sightseeing in Kyoto
Day 3 Kyoto to Hiroshima and Miyajima then to Tokyo
Day 4 Sightseeing Tokyo
Day 5 Tokyo to Yokohama and return
Day 6 Tokyo to Narita Airport

Can these journeys be covered by purchasing the JR rail pass

Thank you
by phillimore  

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/16 11:42
The long-distance portions are covered (within Kyoto and within Tokyo, there may be some use of non-JR means of transport such as subway or bus is likely needed).

Day 3 looks awfully busy, by the way?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/16 12:49
As the above poster said, the long-distance travel between cities will be covered. But not all local transportation is run by JR, so you will encounter some transport that is not covered by a JR Pass.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/16 16:45
Day 3:-
Kyoto to Hiroshima 1.5 hours.
Hiroshima to Miyajima 0.5 hours
Miyajima to Hiroshima 0.5 hours
Hiroshima to Tokyo 6 hours

What do you plan to see out the window on this day?

If only 6 days. Just do Kyoto and Hiroshima.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/17 07:10
To all, many thanks for your replies.

In view of the helpful comments I am revising days 2 and 3.

The fixed points for the schedule is Day 1 arrive in Osaka and for Day 3 I have booked accommodation that evening in Tokyo so the time of my arrival in Tokyo can be late afternoon.

Does the following seem more practical.

Day 1 Arrive in Osaka....and stay in either Osaka or Kyoto

Day 2 To Hiroshima and Miyajima...and return to either Osaka or Kyoto

Day 3 Explore Kyoto then travel to Tokyo

Would you suggest staying in Kyoto or Osaka.

Day 4 Explore Tokyo

Incidentally my other revision is to visit Mt Fuji on day 5 rather than Yokohama.

Day 6 To Narita Airport

Thank you for your time and attention
by phillimore rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/17 07:37
It looks at least better.
But it really depends on what you want to see, and what kind of traveler you are. If I were in your position, I would skip Hiroshima altogether and spend more time in Kyoto. (In that case you do not need a JR Pass, as the only long distance travel on trains will be one way from Kyoto to Tokyo.) I believe Kyoto deserves more days. But if you are OK just getting a taste of each city briefly, then this is OK. What do you want to do when you say Mr. FUji?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/18 06:30
Travelling from the UK this will be my only opportunity to visit cities and locations i have known about since childhood and at 60 plus years of age I doubt that I will be in the 2020 GB Olympics team.

Hiroshima, Kyoto, Tokyo and Mount were always on my bucket list. However, i acknowledge your advice and believe I may have to leave out Hiroshima and enjoy the history and culture of Kyoto more fully.

With this re-schedule my long distance travelling will be Osaka to Kyoto; Kyoto to Tokyo; Tokyo to Mount Fuji ( and return) and finally Tokyo to Narita Airport. Consequently, do you have any views on if it is worth purchasing the JR bullet train pass.

Many thanks
by phillimore rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/18 08:12
With the Hiroshima return trip and Kyoto to Tokyo (and various trips in between) the 7 day JRP will save you money.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/18 11:28
Would you suggest staying in Kyoto or Osaka.

With your circumstance in mind, I would suggest Shin-Osaka. You are from UK and this might be "once the life time visit" to Japan and you time is rather limited. So you should minimize the transfer time.

Shin-Osaka is good because

1. You can take Haruka train directly from Kansai airport. With JR pass you can take the reserved seat.

2. You can go directly to Hiroshima by Sakura Shinkansen. From Kyoto you must transfer once which will take 40 min more time.

3. You can go to Kyoto by Shinkansen which is only 15 min ride. On day 3, you should get up early, take early Shinkansen to Kyoto, put your luggage in the coin-locker in Kyoto station (which will be rather vacant in the early morning) and then head to your destinations in Kyoto. Kiyomizudera opens very early (6:00) and Fushimiinari has no closing time. Use train/subway and avoid bus. Walk from Kiyomizudera to Higashiyama subway station is a must. There are many nice places to visit, and walking the area is by itself interesting. I said Higashiyama subway station since this is the most convenient station to go other places in Kyoto, such as Nijojo or Kinkakuji. I think your final destination would be Kinkakuji. From Kinkakuji, take taxi (or bus if it is not so crowded) to JR Enmachi station. From Enmachi it would be less than 10 min train ride to JR Kyoto station.

4. Of course you can take reserved seat from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto which is much more comfortable as compared to commuter train running from JR Osaka station. Note that Shinkansen station in Osaka is Shin-Osaka, so if you are staying at Osaka (JR Osaka station area), your traveling time to Hiroshima or Kyoto would be longer and less comfortable.

There should be many places in the world in your bucket list, and I thank you for choosing Japan for your travel. If you cut off Hiroshima, then you should consider staying Kyoto.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel by JR pass 2016/8/30 08:08
may i ask few questions? can i buy one way jr ticket in japan? not buy it in advance? for example, shin osaka to mt fuji? then one way from mount fuji to tokyo? i calculate, and i think it is more expensive if i buy jr pass for 7 days.. and last question, can i buy jr tokyo wide pass in osaka? thanks in advance
by emma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread