Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Allergies to Onions and Peppers 2016/8/16 08:49
Hello everyone! I'm currently planning a trip to Japan but I've got somewhat of a dilemma and was hoping for a bit of advice on this.

From what I've come across so far, it seems that onions are used a lot in the majority of Japanese dishes. Especially green onions. I would love love love to be able to really try local Japanese foods but I can't eat any sort of onions or peppers (unless it's the powdered form or cooked down to nothing). Well, I could, but it would leave me with a crippling stomach ache for hours afterwards. I'm a little more tolerant to green onions but I can only have a small amount before it starts to bother me. So my question is, how much will this limit me in regards to local dishes? And how possible, and how polite, would it be to request food orders without onions? Or would I just be better off gathering ingredients and making my own food?

Thank you!
by MissCami  

Re: Allergies to Onions and Peppers 2016/8/16 12:20
Chefs and waiters are usually understanding about people with allergies. My suggestion is to learn the Japanese for asking if particular dishes have those ingredients or to tell the server that you are allergic and ask for recommendations. Or you can carry a card with phrases that say you are allergic, asks if the ingredients are present, and ask for dishes that don't have them.
by Zarf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies to Onions and Peppers 2016/8/16 14:04
There are heaps of Japanese dishes that dont use onions at all or which only use green onions fresh as a garnish. Stock (for soup) will often be cooked with leek, is that a problem?

For common food that should not have any onion or peppers in it (or which might be a garnish), I'd be thinking soba (with diping sauce, not in soup), tonkatsu, sushi, sashimi, some tempura (sometimes they will do tempura onion or pepper). With yakiniku restaurants, you can hold the onion, and if you wanted to try okonomiyaki you could keep the shallot out of the batter.

Japan also has some great takes on western food which might be to your liking. Japanese pizzas in particular are just awesome. Proscuitto and rocket pizza....mmmmmmmmmm....
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies to Onions and Peppers 2016/8/16 14:49
If you're okay with the scent and extract of onions and peppers being used in the kitchen or dining area, then all you have to do is to make it clear that you are allergic, and they will avoid it.

If you're not okay with that, then I suggest reserving an enclosed room for your group so that things can be shut out.

When clarifying about your allergy, make sure you have it written down by someone you can trust, such as a good concierge or flight attendant to say the least. Don't trust anonymous internet users like me to have things translated that concerns your health.

Also, be sure you clarify what you mean by "pepper". People here in Japan would normally assume that you mean dried and crushed pepper as in "salt and pepper". Photos of what you're allergic to will also help, especially because there are many types of "green onion" in Japan and each one has its own name which doesn't sound at all like "onion".

Bon Appetite!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Allergies to Onions and Peppers 2016/8/17 05:39
Ahh, thank you Zarf!

-"There are heaps of Japanese dishes that dont use onions at all or which only use green onions fresh as a garnish. Stock (for soup) will often be cooked with leek, is that a problem?"

I've never tried leek. The problem that I have with peppers and onions is that I lack the enzyme to digest them. Which is what causes the stomach aches. So I would assume that if that same enzyme is needed then I can't have it, otherwise it would be fine. But I won't know for certain until I try it lol.

-"Also, be sure you clarify what you mean by "pepper". People here in Japan would normally assume that you mean dried and crushed pepper as in "salt and pepper". Photos of what you're allergic to will also help, especially because there are many types of "green onion" in Japan and each one has its own name which doesn't sound at all like "onion". "

Well this suddenly sounded more difficult lol. Are there really many types of green onion? You learn something new every day! I wouldn't need to put pictures of every pepper on the card, would I? Maybe just enough to get the idea across? Otherwise it would be every pepper and onion in existence lol. But that is good to know about the "salt and pepper," I would have never thought about that. Thank you!
by MissCami rate this post as useful

reply to this thread