Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/17 21:17
Hello,

I need some help with reading the timetable for the hokkaido shinkansen.
This is the url:
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/ttable/08.pdf

This is my planned route:
13sept - tokyo to hakodate
14 sept - hakodate to lake toya
15 sept - lake toya to noboribetsu to sapporo
16 sept - sapporo to otaru to sapporo
17 sept - sapporo
18 sept - sapporo to tokyo

I understand that its not possible to do online reservations for hokkaido shinkansen but i'm just wondering if i touch down tokyo on the 9th, activating the pass on the 13, will i be able to secure a seat?

another question is, are most of the transportation covered by the JR pass in hokkaido? if not, can i use the suica/pasmo card in hokkaido or do i have to buy a different card?

thanks in advance!
by A (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/18 10:19
The ten major IC cards, which includes the Suica and PASMO, are interchangeable and can be used in most locations. There's a page on this website about IC cards that can tell you more, along with a helpful table that shows where each card is accepted.

You shouldn't have any problems getting tickets a few days ahead. Just prepare the information for the trains you want beforehand (train name, time, departure/arrival station).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/18 11:33
Yup. Pretty sure you can get a seat. Trains are multiple a day. Even if you dont get your ideal timing, you can still get it.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/18 11:34
In Hokkaido, IC cards can only be used in a small area around Sapporo. In particular, not in Hakodate, lake Toya, or Noboribetsu.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/18 22:09
Thanks sq, jh, firas.

anyone has any idea how to read the shinkansen timetable though?
by A (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/18 22:21
What are you having trouble with, exactly? It seems obvious to me how to read them.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/19 00:05
Hi firas,

correct me if im wrong, there are different columns to look at for different dates. (words highlighted in red)
but i dont seem to see one that departs on the 13 sept?

thanks
by A (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido Shinkansen Timetable 2016/8/19 00:28
None of the trains highlighted in red operate on Sep 13. But all the trains in black operate every day. So choose your train from those printed in black. For example Tokyo to Hakodate, leave Tokyo by Hokkaido Shinkansen at 6:32am (HB 1) and arrive Shin Hakodate at 10:58am. (Drop down to bottom schedule). Transfer to Rapid HL leaving Shin Hakodate at 11:09am and arriving Hakodate at 11:25am.
To go on to Sapporo from Hakodate use middle schedule for Limited Express service to Lake Toya, Noboribetsu and Sapporo.
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread