Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail Passes: Kyoto, Kinosaki, Tottori 2016/8/18 11:22
Hi, I'm planning my first trip to Japan. I don't think the JR Kansai Wide or Japan Rail Passes would be worth it according to my itinerary. I think only the 1 Day Kansai Area Pass to go from Kansai Airport to Kyoto would be worth it. Are there other passes that could work with my itinerary? There's so many different ones.

Day 1:

6 pm: Arrive at Kansai Airport

Take Ltd. Express Haruka to Kyoto (covered by JR Kansai Wide; 2850 to 3570 yen)

Day 2 & 3:

See sights in Kyoto

Day 4:

7:32 am: Take Ltd. Exp Kinosaki to Kinosakionsen (covered by JR Kansai Wide; 4320 yen)

Take JR San-in Line to Takeno (I think the one going to Hamasaka is covered but others towards Kasumi or Tottori is not; 200 yen)

Take JR San-in for Toyooka/Kinosakionsen to Kinosakionsen (covered by JR Kansai Wide; 200 yen)

Day 5:

Take local bus to Hiyoriyama Coast/Kinosaki Aquarium

Rent bike; bike around coast

Take bus back to Kinosaki to get luggage

Take JR San-in Line for Hamasaka and JR San-in Line for Tottori to Tottori (not covered by JR Kansai Wide; 1320 yen)

Day 6:
8:04 am: Take JR San-in Line for Yonago to Yura (not covered by Kansai Wide; 840 yen)

4:09 pm: Take JR San-in Line for Tottori to Kurayoshi and L td. Exp Super Hakuto to Osaka (not covered by JR Kansai Wide; 8370 yen) (partially covered by Japan Rail Pass; 1820 yen)

Day 7:

Take JR Kansai Airport Rapid Service for Kansai Airport (covered by JR Kansai Wide; 1190 yen)

Sum of Travel Costs:

No Pass: 19290 to 20010 yen

JR Kansai Wide: 20220 yen

Japan Rail: 30930 yen

1 Day JR Kansai Area: 18640 yen
by Ann (guest)  

Re: Kyoto, Kinosaki and San-in Coast until Yura 2016/8/18 23:18
Take local bus to Hiyoriyama Coast/Kinosaki Aquarium
Take bus back to Kinosaki to get luggage

When will you travel?

Timetables of Zentan Bus for this line differ by whether the day is a weekday or not.
So, please be careful of pubic holidays.

What are your interests and preferences?

Kinosaki is a cozy hot-spring resort.
The aquarium Kinosaki Marine World is located actually outside the Kinosaki area.
If you don't plan to visit the aquarium, two days may be more than enough for Kinosaki, Takeno and Hiyoriyama.
Have you heard of the park for Oriental White Storks in Toyooka?

Take JR San-in Line for Hamasaka and JR San-in Line for Tottori to Tottori
Take JR San-in Line for Yonago to Yura

Trains are available only very infrequently between Kinosakionsen and Yura.
Please make sure you can catch each train as you plan.

- JR-West: ICOCA & HARUKA
http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/
- japan-guide.com: JR-West Kansai WIDE Area Pass
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_08.html

Combinations
(1) HARUKA discount tickets + regular tickets.
(2) HARUKA discount ticket + Kansai WIDE Area Pass + regular tickets.

The price of a JR-West Kansai WIDE Area Pass is either 8500 or 9000 yen, depending on how you purchase one.

A Limited Express "Super Hakuto" bound for Kyoto makes stops at both Osaka and Shin-Osaka Stations in this order.
: If you take a rapid train from Osaka to Kansai-airport (as you plan now),
the cost on Combination (1) is estimated to be lower by 140 or 640 yen.
: If you take a Limited Express "HARUKA" train from Shin-Osaka to Kansai-airport,
the cost on Combination (2) is estimated to be lower by 1360 or 860 yen.

When you travel with regular tickets on a Limited Express train,
you can fist purchase your Limited Express ticket without seat reservation then replace it by a reserved-seat Limited Express ticket, paying only the gap(s) in the Limited Express surcharges.

When you travel with a JR-West Kansai WIDE Area Pass but hope to have a reserved seat in a Limited Express train,
you should pay fully for the Limited Express surcharge(s).

Take JR San-in Line to Takeno (I think the one going to Hamasaka is covered but others towards Kasumi or Tottori is not; 200 yen)

All these four stations on the San-in Line are in the same direction of Kinosakionsen Station.

Your round trip from Kinosakionsen to Takeno
can be covered by a Kansai WIDE Area Pass or,
when you choose regular tickets,
should be paid for separately because you turn back on your way to Tottori.

From west to east
: Yura -- Kurayoshi -- Tottori -- Hamasaka -- Kasumi -- Takeno -- Kinosakionsen -- Toyooka.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread