Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/19 00:13
Hi :) I'm going to study in japan for around 5/6 months and my dorm only has ethernet connection. The problem is: i need internet on my ipad every day (at least every night) so should I invest on cables to connect my ipad directly to the ethernet or should i rent a pocket device or wifi of some sort?!?!?

Thank you so much
by Sora (guest)  

Re: Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/19 09:55
What is the question, exactly? If you are asking whether to use wifi or ethernet on your iPad, that's a decision you have to make for yourself depending on your circumstances. If you want wifi, obviously you will need a wifi routing device; if you have a computer it can do that.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/20 00:08
Just buy an Apple Airport Express.

Problem solved.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/20 10:57
I'd echo the above: just make your own dorm wifi.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/20 13:17
You would need a wifi router to plug into your dorm ethernet. Then you can use your ipad wirelessly at home. No need for an expensive apple airport, there are plenty of good cheap wifi routers on the market for around 1500-2000 yen. For example:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/ELECOM-%E7%84%A1%E7%B7%9ALAN%E3%83%AB%E3%83%B...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/21 03:11
Hi
On my travel i carry always a mini router with me (TL-WR710N).
You can use it as range extender or wifi access point.
It gives you the capability to connect to the ethernet and get a wifi. Because there are 2 LAN ports on this device you can still use a device with a LAN Cable.
Maybe you have an old modem/router laying around. Bring this and you can use this to built your own access point. (Check if it is capable to handle 100V).

Have a nice stay.
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pocket wifi or Ethernet cables? 2016/8/29 19:25
if you are on the move there are some pocket Wi-Fi that doubles as a travel router for home use to connect to a RJ45 cable, but if you mainly use at home, travel router are cheaply available from you local computer store, ebay or Amazon.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread