Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Himeji or Hikone/Nagahama 2016/8/22 05:13
Since whey are on the same time-distance from Kyoto and same price (Himeji with JR Pass Kansai for a 2000yen round trip), I was thinking which destination is better (for a 1-day trip around 1st Sept)?

The down side of Himeji is that I can be there around lunch time and the numbered tickets can be sold out?
The downside of Hikone/Nagahama maybe there is not much to do there but in general I like street with old houses etc...

Any recommendations?
(PS I have been already past times in Osaka and Nara, and will go to Kobe)
by Vesselin Baev (guest)  

Re: Himeji or Hikone/Nagahama 2016/8/22 13:06
Depends where your interest is
I really enjoyed Himeji Castle and a 1/2 day would be tight but you could see the main castle keep and the garden next door. Or skip the garden and just see the castle. I went through at a moderate pace last year and was able to do both the main keep and the garden in the afternoon. Make sure you take the bus or a taxi from the station. The walk will eat up too much time getting there.

I would also recommend Himeji since it was just refurbished.

Good luck with your choice. There is not a bad option between the two.
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji or Hikone/Nagahama 2016/8/22 13:57
Just for a different point of view, I'd go to Hikone. The castle isnt as splendid but Himeji is as hot as hades and at least you might get some nice breezes at Hikone. Also it isnt as crowded, the gardens are pretty, and the town is more fun, IMO.

But I'd agree that Himeji-jo is more impressive - if it wasnt for the heat, and the crowds, and the line up, and the town, I'd go there.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Himeji or Hikone/Nagahama 2016/8/22 16:39
If you include Nagahama, then they will be offering two completely different experiences.

Himeji will be just the castle and park. Maybe a temple if you can locate it.

Hikone/Nagahama will be 2 castles, 1 old street, 1 park, and a island cruise and an island temple.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread