Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/22 10:24
I am planning to use JR pass for my trip to Japan in February 2017. I heard that Japanese is eligible to use it as long as they don't reside in Japan. My question is what kind of proof/documentation do you have to show the staff at the JR pass collection point that you do not reside in Japan? I have Indonesian Permanent residency sticker in my passport as well as Indonesian identity card and driving license.
FYI i am planning to go there together with my Indonesian girlfriend.

Thank you very much for the response.
by Ryuta89  

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/22 11:47
The exchange office staff will be looking for a temporary visitor (tourist) visa or permit in your passport. If you arrive and process at immigration as a Japanese person (Japanese passport), you will not be able to exchange your voucher for the JRP.

It is all pretty well explained on the JRP web sites.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/22 12:02
The permanent residency is what they want to see.
by rsl rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/23 12:37
The conditions are outlined in Japanese here:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/about_jrp.html#bm_001

It would seem that the permanent residency sticker in your Japanese passport alone is not enough. You also need to prove that you reside outside Japan. Such proof might include tax documents, national insurance or address registration documents. Whoever is issuing you the exchange order should be able to give you more details.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/23 12:50
Yet another good laugh in this thread, eh.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/23 14:49
If you are a permanent resident of another country, you can take such proof to your consulate or embassy and they can print out a letter for a small fee stating that you are indeed a permanent resident of the particular country. As this is a Japanese-government issued form it is accepted throughout Japan.

The PR label in your passport should suffice, and has done so in the past in my experience, however some countries do not put labels in passports these days so such a letter as stated above would be required.
by SDJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/23 17:10
@ JapanCustomTours... Japanese nationals are perfectly eligible to use railpasses if the satisfy the eligibility requirements:

You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan:

Who is qualified to live permanently in that country, or
Who is married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.

Note: To purchase an exchange order or redeem your Exchange Order for a Japan Rail Pass, you will be required to provide proof of eligibility as described below.

People meeting condition (1) must provide written proof of the following:

Permanent resident status
Residence outside of Japan
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass eligibility for a Japanese 2016/8/24 10:29
SaruBob - yes, I know Japanese are allowed to get the JRP. The requirements are (as pointed out) listed in the terms and conditions of the pass.

I didn't express this well in my earlier answer.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread