Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to japan 2016/8/24 05:48
I have just recently graduated college with a 4 year degree in information technology. I have really been thinking about moving to Japan to find a job. Something's about me I am an African American female age 30, my Japan I would say is conversational at best I am still learning. I am planning to get a 90 day visa if possible. My best friend works in Japan as an English teacher. So l have a place to live during my stay not a big place very small. I know it will be super cramped but I'm not a picky person. I have saved up about 12,000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also my friend live in the Chiba prefecture. I don't plan on eating out much I'm more the type to cook than eat out . I'm more of a ramen type person.
Thank you very much.
by Keisha7588  

Re: Moving to japan 2016/8/24 10:28
What's your actual question?

Remember that you can't work on a tourist visa. You can look for jobs while on a tourist visa, but you won't be able to start working until you get a work visa (or other visa that allows work, such as dependent, study, etc.).

If your tourist visa expires before you find a job, you'll need to leave Japan. Do not overstay your visa illegally, or you will find it hard to return to Japan in the future.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to japan 2016/8/24 10:54
I am assuming that you mean Temporary Visitor Status when you say "90 day visa," the one that US citizens can get upon entry into Japan. Are you coming for any sightseeing, plus some job hunting, or are you coming for job hunting purpose only?

Please note that if you don't have any interviews lined up before you come to Japan, simply coming in as a Temporary Visitor, finding potential employers, getting interviewed, getting (if things go smooth) accepted, then getting the work visa application submitted, all within 90 days, could be either tight or not feasible, while some might have done it before.

Any job advertisement that you find online outside Japan? Maybe applying in advance with them might be an idea.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to japan 2016/8/25 02:07
If you can, I'll suggest to invest in learning Japanese by going to a school. With a comp sci degree and Japanese language skills you will much better career prospect as compared to teaching English
by My2cents (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread