Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/8/29 06:19
Hello,
I'm planning a trip to japan for the second half of October.
We will be in Kyoto for the first 4 nights, and 2 additional nights in a ryokan in Ogotoonsen. In Kyoto we will stay very very close to Nijo castle .
My plan is constantly changing, so I need some advice :)
We will arrive in the evening, so I just want to try and squeeze in a visit to Kyoto Tower for the view. Is it worth it?
Then as follows:
Day 1:
- Kyomizu Dera first thing in the morning
- roam around kyomizu zaka, sannen zaka, ninen zaka and ishibe str .
- This is where I am most unsure: I want to reach Shogunzaka mound too, but:
- I'd like to roam around Gion too
- then travel (maybe with the JR pass somehow?) to Arashiyama .
- visit Tenryu-Ji temple
- walk along the bamboo alley and then dinner.

Day 2:
Visit the imperial palace and the philosopher's path .
Then side trip to Nara an visit:
- Todai-Ji Daibutsu-den
- Nara park
- Ukimido pavilion
- Kasuga Taisha Shrine
- Nigatsu-Do temple

Day 3:
- Start of with a side-trip to Osaka. Here I mainly want to go for the street food :D So we'll just keep it at Osaka Castle and the castle gardens, then visit Dottombori . Would this be the best place for okonomiyaki or should I keep that for Tokyo?
- then on the way back stop at Fushimi Inari Taisha
- then Kurama-dera
- then Kifune Jinja

Day 4: I don't have any plans for the first half of the day, at about 13-ish we will leave for Ogotoonsen. I noticed I haven't included Nijo castle in our itinerary, even though we're almost across the street from it. Maybe this morning we will visit it.

Day 5: Should I plan a round-trip to Kyoto again or explore the region around lake Biwa?

Please advise on the timeframe. I kind of feel I included everything I am truly interested in , but is it too much? Too little? I would like a little time to walk along the shopping streets, and more temples I'm not really interested in ^_^
by OIoana  

Re: Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/8/29 14:27
I, too, am planning a 4-night trip to Kyoto.

My plan includes one-day side trip to Uji & Nara.
My must-see list in Kyoto is a lot smaller than yours, but I do plan to fill all free times with visits to more temples/shrines (there are so many!) along the way. I plan to do this by purchasing a 5-day pass from Kintetsu (they offer several kinds, from 1-day to 5-day):
http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/ticket/index.html

This pass covers KansaiAirport-Osaka-Nara-Kyoto-Ise-Nagoya area, but not the bullet train (JR). Their most expensive pass includes bus rides, which should come in handy within Kyoto. Cost 3800 Yen for 5- day Wide pass.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/8/30 15:33
Thank you Mei.
I hope we will manage, if not, it's not a big tragedy! Only the first day seems a bit full to me, the others are fine I guess.

As for the JR Pass, we will buy a one-week pass regardless. We will fly in at Haneda, and return to Tokyo after our stay in Kyoto. I think with traveling tokyo-kyoto -osaka-kyoto-nara-kyoto-ogotoonsen-kyoto-tokyo it will be worth it anyway. So we'll use that when applicable, and buses and prepaid cards when not.
by OIoana rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/8/30 17:55
It would be very difficult to do Kiyomizudera/Higshiyama area and Arashiyama area all the in the same day. unless you skip a lot of the sights within those areas. There is no JR options between these 2 areas. I'd really try to separate these two area fro different days.

Day 3 - Start a Fishimi Inrai early, say 7 am. then do Kurama/Kifune. Then finish off a Donton bori in evening for dinner.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/8/30 18:31
I disagree, if the main purpose of visiting Arashiyama is the bamboo forest than it is possible to complete in a day.
Higashiyama + Gion would take half a day. Getting to and visiting the bamboo forest would take 2 hours or less. Definitely possible. Can also throw in a visit to Tenryuji. Anything more, would require sneakers and a good pair of legs.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/8/31 14:49
http://www.visitacity.com/

We use this application to help us make the itinerary during we are in Kyoto.
We stay in Kyoto for 2 days and after that we go to Osaka and Nara.

by Caesar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto itinerary - please advise 2016/9/3 03:12
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I will consider Dottombori for the evening, though I don't much like crowds :) And I'll have to check train departure times as to not miss it.
As for the first day, I think I can manage it, I still need to decide if I want to climb on Shogunzaka or Arashiyama for the view over Kyoto.

I know about visitacity.com, I have also used it a bit, but the itineraries are not to my liking there. I have mostly used odigo.travel to plan my trip.
by OIoana rate this post as useful

reply to this thread