Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice for itinerary in North Kyushu 8D7N 2016/8/29 21:31
Hi all,

My family and I (3 of us) will be heading to Kyushu from 17th-24th November, arriving at Fukuoka airport. This is my rough itinerary for the trip. We're thinking of using both public transport and car rental.

Day 1: Reach Fukuoka in the morning - take train to Saga (Yutoku Inari Shrine) or Sasebo (Huis Ten Bosch) - Nagasaki (Mount Inasa at night)

Day 2: Nagasaki (Gunkanjima, Peace Park and/or Nagasaki Bio Park, Dejima, Chinatown at night)

Day 3: Nagasaki - Mount Unzen(worth going?) - take ferry from Shimabara port over to Kumamoto

Day 4: rent a car from Kumamoto - Takachiho Gorge - Aso - Kurokawa Onsen

Day 5: Kurokawa Onsen - Harajiri Falls - Yufu River Gorge - Lake Kirinko - Beppu

Day 6: Beppu - Beppu Jigoku - Oita - drop car at Oita and take train - Kitakyushu(Kawachi Wisteria Garden and maybe Kokura Castle) - Fukuoka

Day 7: Fukuoka

Day 8: Head back home.

My questions are:-
1) Do you think itfll be too rush judging from the routes for the trip?
2) Is it the peak autumn season during our stay? If yes, any nice autumn spots recommendations that we can drop by?
3) With the recent Kumamoto earthquake, Ifm a little unsure about the routes for Day 4 actually since I think some of the roads are still closed around the Aso area, the information Ifve found are all in Japanese, which I have trouble understanding it. Any advices for that?
4) I heard there are quite a few unique trains in Kyushu, which trains (even better if they run along some scenic routes) do you think is worth hopping on? I donft mind shifting the locations a little to enjoy some interesting train experiences :)

Thank you!
by pauline (guest)  

Re: Advice for itinerary in North Kyushu 8D7N 2016/8/30 14:08
Mount Unzen(worth going?)
Yes.

Day 4: rent a car from Kumamoto - Takachiho Gorge - Aso - Kurokawa Onsen
Not impossible but this would be tough

1) Do you think itfll be too rush judging from the routes for the trip?
This is okay. Somewhat fast paced but only Day 4 seems like a challenge.

2) Is it the peak autumn season during our stay? If yes, any nice autumn spots recommendations that we can drop by?
Kurokawa onsen has some. Aso region too.
You are going to Unzen in Nagasaki. You can see Todoroki-kyo Gorge too. Though as you are focused in the city areas and not the countryside like Saga then you wouldnt see as much autumn. Still plenty of nice spots.

4) I heard there are quite a few unique trains in Kyushu, which trains (even better if they run along some scenic routes) do you think is worth hopping on? I donft mind shifting the locations a little to enjoy some interesting train experiences :)
They dont really interest me but I guess the trains from Fukuoka to Oita/Beppu may interest you.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for itinerary in North Kyushu 8D7N 2016/8/30 16:20
See this site for route map and photos of JR Kyushu trains:
http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/time_table/time_table.jsp
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for itinerary in North Kyushu 8D7N 2016/8/30 17:50
Day 4 - take out Aso and the day could be done. Aso is not assessible if you are planning to go to or close to the crater.

Kawachi Wisteria Garden has terrible public transport. If you are planning to go here, keep the rental car for this section of trip also.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread