Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 weeks honeymoon itinerary 2016/9/2 14:03
Hi everyone,

Me and my husband will be spending 20 days in Japan for our honeymoon. Could fellow forum members help point me to the right direction for our itinerary? It would be much appreciated!!

A little information about us, we are a young couple, I've been to Japan once when I was 8 so I don't remember much (except for Disneyland!), and my husband has never been there before. We enjoy food and animate (not super die hard fan tho), and we prefers the slower pace of travel (e.g. do whatever we want whenever we want instead of sticking to a tight schedule). We normally don't like getting up early in the morning to rush to sight-see too.

We will arrive at Osaka on 22nd October 8pm and depart from Tokyo on 10th November 8pm. I'm planning to spend 1 week in Osaka and approx 2 weeks in Tokyo.

Below is my very rough itinerary:

[22 October - 29 October]
Stay near Namba station for a week and travel to Kyoto everyday until we finished sight-seeing, or when we have enough of Kyoto. Also thinking of Kobe, Nara or Koyasan if we have time.

Things we want to do in Osaka/Kyoto:
Dotonbori
Den Den Town
Hozenji Yokocho Alley
Kuromon Market
Todaiji Temple
Tenjinbashi-suji Shopping Street

Nishiki Market
Kyoto Imperial Palace
Sento Imperial Palace
Kiyomizudera
Higashiuama District
Sanjusangendo
Nanzenji Temple
Gion
Eikando
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Kinkakuji
Arashiyama

30th October - 10th November
Travel to Tokyo via Shinkansen and stay in Shinjuku.
The things/places I think we might spend our time are:

Tsukiji Fish Market
Akihabara (min 2 days? hehe)
Shibuya
Shinjuku
Ghibli Museum
Fujiko F. Fujui Museum
Disneyland (maybe)
Ooedo Onsen Monogatari (maybe)

The list in Tokyo is much shorter compare to Kyoto & Osaka, however our friends who have been to Japan said that 2 weeks in Japan is just enough especially given our pace, hence why I located 2 weeks in there. But I'm not sure.

The list in Tokyo seems quite boring. Do you think we should shorten Tokyo and spend 2-3 days somewhere else? What other activities or places we can go to that is more interesting or romantic in Japan? Do you think we can fit in Hokkaido?
Also is the Osaka/Kyoto list reasonable? Is there anything in there that will make you think it's a waste of time and I'd be better off doing something else?
Also since we will be spending 20 days in Japan, I assume we should be getting the 21 days JR Pass yeah?

Thanks very much for reading this post, and any advice you can give is very much appreciated!! :)

by Jigglingpuff  

Re: 3 weeks honeymoon itinerary 2016/9/2 14:42
Ok nvm Hokkaido, didn't realise it was on another island! *blush*
by Jigglingpuff rate this post as useful

Re: 3 weeks honeymoon itinerary 2016/9/2 18:34
Anime?
Poke centre, akihabara, and the like may interest you. Or perhaps going to locations where the anime was filmed (set locations inspiration came from).

[22 October - 29 October]
Stay near Namba station for a week and travel to Kyoto everyday until we finished sight-seeing, or when we have enough of Kyoto. Also thinking of Kobe, Nara or Koyasan if we have time.

8 days would be sufficient for the above locations.
For a fast pace traveler, 3 days is good for a first timer. As a slower paced traveler, 5 days would be sufficient. Koya san requires a night regardless of travel speed due to its severe lack of attractions (just takes a long time to get there, the attractions and the overnight stay is really great though!).
Nara is two days. Namba is a night or two or more (it becomes lively then whereas Kyoto simmers in attractiveness at night). Kobe needs very little time. Didn't really like it, been there twice.
If you are in autumn night illumination season, then Kyoto may have some night activities, if not an evening spent at Gion & night at Potoncho would be sufficient for Kyoto's night life.

2 weeks in Tokyo with that plan? I could do that less than 5 days!! No rush too! 2 weeks in Japan, sure. 2 weeks in Tokyo... too much.

The list in Tokyo seems quite boring. Do you think we should shorten Tokyo and spend 2-3 days somewhere else? What other activities or places we can go to that is more interesting or romantic in Japan? Do you think we can fit in Hokkaido?
Also is the Osaka/Kyoto list reasonable? Is there anything in there that will make you think it's a waste of time and I'd be better off doing something else?
Also since we will be spending 20 days in Japan, I assume we should be getting the 21 days JR Pass yeah?

Do shorten it.
You could make day trips to Kamakura, Nikko, Kusatsu, Hakone, Nagano, Karuizawa (listed in no particular order of preference). But considering your travel pace you may need more time then that. If you wish to spend some time out of Tokyo, I say go to Kanazawa and its surroundings for 3-5 days.
Onsen town is also always welcomed. Find a private one to spend with your love one.

As for the 21 Day Pass, it would not pay off. A 7 day pays off if you go from Tokyo to Osaka and back. Now, you are going in one direction and using a pass for thrice the duration. So no, just pay normal tickets from the ticket office or ticket machine.

Oh a side note, did you fiance catch you? Since you are named Jig Puff.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 weeks honeymoon itinerary 2016/9/2 18:34
Well, if you take one week off the two weeks in Tokyo you can go to Hokkaido or any other prefecture of Japan!
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3 weeks honeymoon itinerary 2016/9/2 18:40
Hi

Japan is so much more than just Tokyo, Kyoto Osaka. Look to the countrysides to find the real beauty of Japan.

These places are less crowded and usually have breathtaking sceneries that leave the best romantic memories.

Since your trip falls during the autumn season, consider places like:
Nikko. Visit the shrines surrounded by fall colors
Hachimantai Mountains, Tohoku ( Nyuto onsen in particular)
Lake Towada & Oirase Stream, Tohoku
Kenrokuen Garden, Kanazawa
Kinosaki onsen, Tottori

One thing to note, Autumn starts in the North (Hokkaido) and moves South ( Tokyo Kyoto etc). Since you're starting the trip in the reverse direction, you might want to check the dates for the best colors for the places you're visiting.

Have fun^^.
by FQue rate this post as useful

reply to this thread