Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check (18 days) 2016/9/4 21:50
I'm going to Japan for the first time next month. I've seen some good advice on other itinerary thread so I thought I'd post my own itinerary for review! Any advice is appreciated.

Solo traveler. First time visiting Japan. Interested in both the modern and the old, including anime/manga. Some knowledge of the language (JLPT N2), but I haven't much used it actively. I would prefer a peaceful trip to a hectic one.

Oct 3: Tokyo (morning arrival)
Oct 4: Tokyo
Oct 5: Tokyo
Oct 6: Tokyo - Kamakura day trip
Oct 7: Tokyo - Nikko day trip
Oct 8: Tokyo - Saturday, Akihabara?
Oct 9: Tokyo - Sunday, Harajkuku?
Oct 10: Kyoto
Oct 11: Kyoto
Oct 12: Kyoto
Oct 13: Kouyasan (night 1)
Oct 14: Kouyasan (night 2)
Oct 15: Kyoto
Oct 16: Kyoto - Nara day trip (Saturday)
Oct 17: Kyoto - Osaka day trip (Sunday)
Oct 18: Ise
Oct 19: Tokyo
Oct 20: Tokyo
Oct 21: Flight back

I'm wondering if it's too much time in Tokyo/Kyoto. Maybe I should reduce that time and add another destination?

I'm also wondering if two nights at Kouyasan is worth it. I'm hoping the time there will be peaceful/relaxing.

I don't know yet if I'll get a JR rail pass, I figure I'll finalize the itinerary first and then run calculations to see if it's worth it.
by Sander123  

Re: Itinerary check (18 days) 2016/9/5 11:27
I feel you spend too much time in Tokyo. to me 3 days in Tokyo is already a stretch.
You can squeeze: Harajuku (including the meiji shrine), shibuya, shinjuku into 1 day, squeeze akihabara, odaiba , and the imperial palace into another day, squeeze asakusa/Tokyo skytree, Tsukiji market into 1 day as well. I can't think of other thing to see in Tokyo outside of cherryblossom season, maybe Tokyo Disneyland.
Other places you may want to consider in Japan: Hiroshima/Miyajima, Takayama/Shirakawago/Kanazawa, Fuji five lakes.
by Ryuta89 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check (18 days) 2016/9/5 12:17
I would spend less time in Tokyo, but many people believe that four day in Kyoto is about right.

If you are wanting relaxing things, how about the three best scenic views in Japan:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2250.html

Matsushima Bay can be done as a day trip from Tokyo.
I would spend a day in Miyajima, and overnight in Hiroshima.
Think about a Ryokan as a destination in Amanohashidate.

As far a Koyasan is concerned, I would go up early on my first day, and leave late on the second day.

The other suggestion is a Hot Springs Beach Resort Town, such as Atami, or Shirahama. Atami is close to Tokyo, and Shirahama is close to Kyoto/Osaka. More links:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6317.html
read:http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4958.html

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check (18 days) 2016/9/5 12:58
I don't think you're spending enough time in Kyoto itself. You will need more than one day to see the city! One night in Koyasan is usually enough, unless you want to go hiking.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread