Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/5 17:44
How should I schedule my subway passes as theres so many different types and limited 7 day passes. I'll be traveling from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto from 1st-10th October.

I'm very troubled as to how to go along purchasing the passes for maximum efficiency as I'll be taking the bullet train back from Osaka/Kyoto to Tokyo at the last day.
by Marc (guest)  

Re: Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/5 19:12
For 10 days, there is no suitable pass, as a 7-day pass will be too short and a 14-day will be too expensive. You can use:

* Regular Shinkansen tickets (see Hyperdia): most expensive, but also simplest to purchase and use.
* Platt Kodama: cheaper bus slower and also restricts the number of available trains. http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/
* Flights: cheaper, but somewhat more cumbersome (going to and from airports, pre-flight procedures, etc.)
* Highway buses: much cheaper, especially if you consider that you also save the price of a hotel night, but not for everyone.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/5 21:55
You would get a subway pass when you're sure it works out for your itinerary.You could instead just get an IC card.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/6 00:50
Hi im the author of the post,
Some details are that i'll be in Tokyo till the 5th day before advancing out to Osaka and Kyoto then back to Tokyo , so is it viable if I were to buy regular train tickets for the first 3 days within Tokyo then purchase the 7 days JR Pass for me to access the bullet trains till the last day? Or are there any passes for 3 days within Tokyo?
by MarcD24 rate this post as useful

Re: Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/6 02:26
There are so many kinds of day passes for use in Tokyo area. I counted over 40. Some are for subways only, some are for buses, private train lines, combinations of lines, and JR lines. If you know which areas of Tokyo you will visit, more specific advices will follow. Or, you can just buy a pre-paid card that is compatible with most lines (e.g., Suica).
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/6 06:11
If you will do Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo plus day trips to Osaka within 7 days, then a 7-day JR Pass makes sense, although it will probably not be the absolutely cheapest option.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Help needed with JR Passes 2016/9/6 08:09
There are too many PASSes offered in Tokyo region, perhaps a dozen of them. However when i did research on them for my own trip, none of them turns out to be cheaper than buying the ticket individually. Therefore what you can do is just use an IC card (SUICA) for your trip in Tokyo, and activate your JR pass on the day you board the bullet train to Kyoto. The suica card can also be used in kyoto and osaka so it will come in handy.
by Ryuta89 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread