Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/7 20:11
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning to travel from Osaka to Arima Onsen, then to Kyoto.

Our Osaka hotel is right next to the Osaka Namba Station.

1) What is the easiest and most cost effective way to travel to Arima Onsen from Osaka? I have done a lot of research and found that the easiest way is to broad the Hankyo bus from Umeda Station.

Our problem is that we will have 2 large luggage with us. I think they are too big for both JR and Hankyo buses. What should we do?

2) After Arima Onsen, we hope to travel to Kyoto right away, that's why we have the 2 large luggage with us.

What is the easiest and most cost effective way to travel from Arima Onsen to Kyoto? Our hotel is right next to Kyoto Station.

I have checked HyperDia and Google Map. All I see are lots of transferring from one station to another.

Please give us any suggestion you think might be useful to us.

Thank you very much in advance!
by judyw  

Re: Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/8 10:13
There will always be multiple transfers from your listed locations. nothing you can do about it.

If you luggage is too heavy. Pack lighter or use a luggage forwarding service to move 95% of your luggage to your Kyoto hotel.

If you take trains, then you'll have no issues with your luggage. I'm doubtful you'll have issues on the buses either. But I don't have experience with buses in your area of travel.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/8 15:35
usually distance buses have a holding space under the seats which you can open from outside and put heavy luggage in. so you should be fine even with heavy luggage. just tell the driver to wait until you packed it out (but usually they notice anyhow)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/8 17:12
usually distance buses have a holding space under the seats which you can open from outside and put heavy luggage in.

Generally, it is true. However, if the OP is referring to this service,

https://www.hankyubus.co.jp/highway/route/info/highway14.php

it states

Ž‚¿ž‚ß‚È‚¢‰×•¨ (luggage you are not allowed to bring)
’†Œ^ˆÈã‚Ì—·s—p‚̃X[ƒcƒP[ƒX (more than medium size suitcase)

so the OP should keep the suitcase somewhere in Osaka station. There are many coin lockers in Osaka station and a manned "luggage room" on the 1st floor (the ground floor in many other countries).

https://osakastationcity.com/annai/baggage/

https://osakastationcity.com/guide/station/pdf/floorguide_1f.pdf

"luggage room": ‰×•¨ˆêŽž—a‚èŠ
Coin lockers: Key and bag icon.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/8 22:57
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Yes Frog1954. My issue was that I read the Hankyu Bus luggage limitation and realize I can't go on to the bus with my luggage.
After I read your suggestion, I found out the lockers possibly cost $5 to $6 per day. If I leave them over night then it might cost $12.

So I don't mind paying $24 for my 2 luggage if our Osaka hotel won't hold our luggage for us because our easiest way to go from Arima to Kyoto is through Osaka anyway. Tokaido -Sanyo line to Kyoto Station will cost the same for me to either travel from Umeda or Osaka station anyway.

Problem solved. Thank you!
by judyw rate this post as useful

Re: Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/19 11:11
Just keep in mind not all storage lockers allow overnight storage! Check with the station attendants first!
by mknight (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Trip to Arima Onsen 2016/9/19 12:06
sending your luggage to your hotel in Kyoto would be more convenient.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread