Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/8 04:58
Heyo!
I been looking to try the Jomonsugi trail if visiting Yakushima in the near future.

I read the Arakawa trail (the old railway) is 7.8 km one way, saying to take 3 hours. Not sure how the trail actually looks in detail but I did try a walk on the local forest trails around here for 14.8 km took me about 2.5 hours.

Did I walk "too fast" or am I just faster compared to normal?
by Jomon (guest)  

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/8 13:19
Yakushima: The trail is not a straight road and it has ups and downs. Also the footing may not be as good as the one at your home country. Running through a forest is not recommended.

Whether you are fast or not, how would i know? What is the usual time people finish the route at your home country? If you are faster than the normal by far, then you may be able to finish faster in Yaksuhima. Note that Yakushima rains very frequently so if you may not be able to rush it even if you have the speed, stability and balance is also important.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/8 13:54

14.8 km took me about 2.5 hours. Did I walk "too fast" or am I just faster compared to normal?

With that speed, you virtually did an "amazing race".
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/8 15:19
I read the Arakawa trail (the old railway) is 7.8 km one way, saying to take 3 hours. Not sure how the trail actually looks in detail but I did try a walk on the local forest trails around here for 14.8 km took me about 2.5 hours.

14.8 km in 2.5 hours is a pretty normal pace to hike a relatively flat trail, or a fast pace if there is a lot of elevation changes. The issue with the Anbo section of the Arakawa Trail is that it is almost completely along the old railroad, and the spacing of the ties really disrupts your tempo and effectively makes you a lot slower than normal. Btw, this site estimates it to be more like 2.5 hours for that section rather than 3 hours, so if you might be able to do it in 2-2.5 hrs.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4653.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 00:02
Well,it would be about 1,4 m/s calculated. I did about 2 steps per second, but then I am rather tall as well.

Is the railroad itself rather flat?

By the way, risk of slippering on the tracks might be quite big right?
by Jomon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 01:09
You walk mostly on the rail ties and water running in between for about 45min. until the old school ruin. Then it becomes easier on flat timbers laid over the rail ties. There are high bridges without any hand rails and narrow which are kind of scary at first as rapid stream and boulders running underneath that if you fall, you are done for.
Then, after the half way into it, the trail becomes treacherous. You walk on narrow trails between rocks and exposed tree roots and ladders laid flat. If you miss a step, you can break a leg or twist your ankle. Also there are thousand of wooden steps up and down all the way to Jomon Cedar. My legs were very tired.
I started walking about 8 am from the Arakawa Entrance and got back 2pm passing everybody but stopped here and there and for lunch. The first bus to leave for Cedar Museum is 3pm from there.
See my TripAdvisor review.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 01:14

I did a few hikes in Yakushima, and took much longer time than what recommended for all the hikes. Personally, it was not the destination that mattered, it was the journey. I stopped countless times to soak up the beauty of the island knowing it could be the only chance I had to visit this " fallen heaven on earth"
by Shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 03:56
I was considering Jomonsugi since going to Yakushima will probably be only once. But I am fearing getting hurt or unable to get back if hurt along the trail. Crawling for 10 kilometers is not really my dream.

Have any protective suggestions maybe :)

How much would good hiking shoes help?

Did you hike by yourselves or on a tour/ guide?

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 08:05
Almost every Japanese hikers were dressed up in full & colorful hiking dresses, boots and two walking canes, one on each hand looking very cool. I don't see much help from walking canes. Actually they may become cumbersome to carry. Boots may become too heavy, too. I had light running shoes, a small backpack with water, rain gear and lunch box. Most worry was blisters on my feet so I had surgical tape just in case. You are pretty much on your own and If you are injured, other hikers would help but the rescue team would take a long time to reach you. For a day hiker, they don't recommend to hike further, if you think you can not reach the Jomon Cedar by 1 pm(no bus to go back, either). There is a hut just past the Jomon Cedar to spend a night.
Another option is to visit Shiratani Unsuikyo. they have a few different hiking routes from short 1hr. course. Also, take a bus to Kigen Sugi. You may see many wild animals, monkeys, deer, etc.

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 09:44
I started walking about 8 am from the Arakawa Entrance and got back 2pm passing everybody but stopped here and there and for lunch.

Amazinga, your tripadvisor review says you departed at 6am, but still, that is quite a fast time for the 22km return trip. Most guides and tours estimate 10-12 hours. Note that it's not the distance that makes it slow, it's the elevation change and terrain (the boardwalks and steps can be steep and upset your pace), not to mention that it is easy to get stuck behind slower hikers along the way.

I also think calling it treacherous may be a bit over exaggerated. The boardwalks can be steep and slippery, but as far as danger goes, I'd rate it as pretty average for Japanese trails. You can google image search pictures for a good idea of what it looks like. It's definitely a strenuous hike, but the trail is nothing that would give an experienced hiker pause.

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 09:53
But I am fearing getting hurt or unable to get back if hurt along the trail. Crawling for 10 kilometers is not really my dream.

The trail is well traveled, so if you do get hurt there will likely be passerbyers that can help you. That said, this is a risk of hiking anywhere. The best way to be prepared is to have proper gear (good sturdy shoes, food, water, warm clothing), and be in shape for the hike.

How much would good hiking shoes help?

Ultralight hikers may prefer running shoes, but a good pair of hiking boots/shoes can help a lot. They are sturdier to prevent foot fatigue and usually have better ankle protection than a pair of running shoes. Plus newer hiking boots don't have to be heavy.

Did you hike by yourselves or on a tour/ guide?

It's easy enough to do yourself, the trails are well traveled and marked in both Japanese and English. But it would probably be a richer experience to go with a guide as they would explain all the neat things along the way that are easy to miss.

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/9 14:27
Thank you for your replies guys.

Well I will definitely invest in or at least rent a pair of hiking boots. I think they would be too bulky carrying around Japan outside of Yakushima.

I get quite scared when someone say that you can break your leg and stuff. I expect the boards to be slippery of course as I know it can rain.

I did hike the Kaimon-dake mountain some years ago and it being quite steep most of the time, with rocks and roots on some parts. I only did slip once where the terrain was a bit rough. Took about 4 or 5 hours I think up and down incl. breaks.

The downside was the blisters I got on my toes and my hands from continous holding onto trees when going down to ease the work on my knees.

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/10 01:36
I forgot to deduct the bus ride time from the Cedar Museum to the Arakawa Entrance in my review in TA.
Good for a poster, if it was easy and well marked for you. But for me the trail was not well marked once leaving the rail tracks. Nobody around me and at a few times I had to go back a little to make sure I was on the right path or I had to ask hikers coming down who spent a night somewhere in the trail.
Use this map for timing.
http://www.yakukan.jp/doc/pdf/e_tozanmap.pdf

Re: Jomonsugi trail questons 2016/9/10 02:55
I will make the decision when I get closer to Yakushima I think would be best.

I will be staying 3-5 days, so I will have time to decide.

I plan on doing exploring of the Shiratani Usuikyo and Yakusugi Land anyway, may be enough anyway.

It feels a bit like a must do thing, like "must visit Tokyo if going to Japan" etc...

reply to this thread