Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/18 20:17
Hi there, so we are trying to figure which will be the best option for travel between cities over a 2 week holiday. We are travelling with our 2-year-old, and Hyperdia just scared the crap outa me, could someone pleeeeease help?! -Purchase JR Passes, or not worth it?

We're in Tokyo 22nd Oct for 4 nights, up to Matsumoto for 2 nights, down to Osaka for 4 nights, then back to Tokyo.

It looks to me like it may be easier to travel back thru Tokyo for the Matsumoto-Osaka leg, but I think im just confused after trying to figure it out myself....

Also I have read that it is worth buying individual Suica Passes for travel around Tokyo city

Cheers for any help in advance,
Simon
by Simondo (guest)  

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/19 11:27
If the only "long-distance" travel you are doing is Tokyo - Matsumoto - Osaka - Tokyo, then definitely a 14-day JR Pass does not pay off. You might just want to consider buying individual long-distance Japan Rail tickets.

Suica is a prepaid card that you can top up, and is handy for travel within cities (short distance rides).
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/19 11:53
You should consider getting the 7-day pass, and first use it (activate it) for the trip from Tokyo to Matsumoto. Then it will cover the trip to Osaka and back to Tokyo - 7 days exactly.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/19 12:29
Tokyo to Matsumoto, 26th Oct.

goo.gl/VvHjfq

10130 yen (via Shinkansen to Nagano)

Matsumoto to Osaka, 28th Oct.

goo.gl/KGaa1T

10600 yen (via Nagoya and Shin-Osaka)

Osaka to Tokyo, 1st Nov.

goo.gl/Z8eYNW

14140 yen (via Shin-Osaka)

Total: 10130+10600+14140=34870 yen

JR Pass 7days

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

29110 yen

Your itinrary will fit in 7 days, so JR Pass 7 days will pay off. I think you will do some side trips to Kyoto, Nara or Himeji which will be covered by the pass.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/19 13:19
There seems to be a common misconception
to think as if it were always possible to tell the total JR regular cost by adding up JR fees for each leg.

A 7-day Ordinary-Class Japan Rail Pass is not likely to save greatly your cost
on traveling from Tokyo via Matsumoto to Osaka then back to Tokyo.

Especially if you stay overnight near Shinjuku Station,
you can take one Limited Express train directly from Shinjuku to Matsumoto,
in which case your JR regular cost is estimated at 30950 yen per adult.
A 7-day Ordinary-Class Japan Rail Pass is sold at 29110 yen,
though you pay for your Passes highly likely in a foreign currency.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html

A Japan Rail Pass does not allow you to use Nozomi on Shinkansen;
direct Hikari trains are much less frequently available
between Nagoya and Shin-Osaka and between Shin-Osaka and Tokyo.
If you don't plan to add a trip with a JR long-distance ride,
it may be better to travel with JR regular tickets and have a wide range of choice of Shinkansen trains.

Which terminal(s) of which airport(s) will you fly into and out from?
What areas in Tokyo and Osaka will you stay in?

We are travelling with our 2-year-old

On the supposition that he/she is the only kid under 6 among the travelers
: When he/she is accompanied by an adult and does not solely use a space which requires reservation,
@he/she can travel free of JR railroad fees.
: When he/she solely have a reserved seat in a JR Shinkansen or Limited Express train,
@child-rate fees apply to him/her.

At a JR ticket counter, when you show your itinerary with timeline, a JR attendant can organize your JR tickets, using a computer.

JR regular cost: 30950 yen per adult
: 9290 yen as a JR basic fare to travel
@from a station inside Tokyo Ward Zone to a station inside Osaka City Zone
@by Chuo Line via Shiojiri and Shinkansen from Nagoya
@(This basic-fare ticket is good for 3 consecutive days.)
: 240 yen as a JR basic fare to travel from Shiojiri to Matsumoto.
: 240 yen as a JR basic fare to travel from Matsumoto to Shiojiri.
: 2900 yen as a JR Ltd. Exp, surcharge (#1) for a ride on 26 Oct. 2016
@from Shinjuku via Shiojiri to Matsumoto.
: 1340 yen as a JR Ltd. Exp. surcharge (#2, #3) for a ride on 28 Oct. 2016
@from Matsumoto via Shiojiri to Nagoya.
: 3000 yen as a JR Shinkansen Hikari surcharge (#4) for a ride on 28 Oct. 2016
@from Nagoya to Shin-Osaka.
: 8750 yen as a JR basic fare to travel
@from a station inside Osaka City Zone to a station inside Tokyo Ward Zone
@by Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka.
: 5190 yen as a JR Shinkansen Hikari surcharge (#5) for a ride on 01 Nov. 2016
@from Shin-Osaka to Shinagawa or Tokyo.

#1: The price becomes 2380 yen when a seat is not reserved.
#2: The price is after a Shinkansen transfer discount,
@@for which you need to buy both Limited Express and Shinkansen tickets together.
#3: The price becomes 1080 yen when a seat is not reserved.
#4: The price becomes
@@2480 yen when a seat is not reserved,
@@3210 yen when you take a Nozomi train with your seat reserved.
#5: The price becomes
@@4870 yen when a seat is not reserved,
@@5500 yen when you take a Nozomi train with your seat reserved.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/20 19:40
Thank you for all of the advice!
It looks like there wont be too much in the price difference if we go with a 7 Day JR Pass, or buy individual long-distance tickets on the day.

Im thinking if we just ask at the train station the day before travel, then we can work out which train will suit us better (faster travel time, time of travel may suit our daughter better, etc...)

Does this sound OK? Or is it a bad idea to NOT book ahead for travel within Japan?!

We land at Narita and are staying in Toshima.
Then in Osaka we are staying in Higashiyodogama.
by Simondo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/20 20:12
Well, considering you can only get the JR Pass outside of Japan as of now... It is better to make your decision now. Also, it makes life easier as you don't have the queue up and purchase train tickets everything you want to go somewhere. (Also carrying all these mini size tickets around are a waste of pocket space) Instead you could just use the JR Pass, flashing the card as you flash a brilliant smile as you walk through the gates like a boss (VIP).

Also, in the event you just want to wing it, the pass also helps with impromptu decisions as once again you do not have to queue to purchase tickets.

Lastly the free seat reservation on trains are a great help especially with a small one.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/20 20:28

If I were you, I would not have a second thought, just buy JR PASS!
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/20 22:20
you do not have to queue to purchase tickets.
Instead you could just use the JR Pass,
flashing the card as you flash a brilliant smile as you walk through the gates like a boss (VIP)

I suppose these comments are very misleading....

Regardless of whether you choose a Japan Rail Pass or JR regular tickets,
you should get a seat ticket to have a reserved seat in a specific JR train.
There may be a line in front of a ticket counter.

Also, a Japan Rail Pass traveler should use a man ticket gate.
When you choose a Japan Rail Pass,
in a big JR station such as Shinjuku, especially during a weekday morning rush,
you may see many passengers getting through automatic gates one after another
while you wait in a long line beside a man gate, carrying your 2-year-old infant.

We land at Narita and are staying in Toshima.

In Toshima..., near JR Ikebukuro Station?
Or, maybe subway Higashi-ikebkuro Station is closer.

When in the day is your plane expected to arrive?

we just ask at the train station the day before travel,
then we can work out which train will suit us better

Well, until 21:45 on Day 1,
you can visit JR EAST Travel Service Center or a nearby JR ticket office in NRT Terminal 1 or 2,
where you can make seat reservation in JR Shinkansen and Limited Express trains and get your tickets.
https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/co...

Your long-distance JR train rides will be on normal weekdays,
and I guess your traveling days will not be at a peak tourist season.
So, trying to reserve your seats on Day 1 sounds enough for this journey.

Then in Osaka we are staying in Higashiyodogama.

The name of that place seems to be Higashiyodogawa, not "m" but "w" instead.
It's a ward in City of Osaka.
There are many railroad stations in around this ward.
Do you know what station is close to this Osaka accommodation?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/21 09:35
For recommend , If you focus to losing your time about transportation I have recommend to using Shinkansen train.

It have route from Tokyo to Matsumoto
From Tokyo to Osaka (Around 3 hours) also as well.

For more information please kindly see JR Pass guide on
http://www.painaima.com/jrpass/

Have a nice trip ne!!
by packetlovetravel rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/21 12:41
Im thinking if we just ask at the train station the day before travel, then we can work out which train will suit us better (faster travel time, time of travel may suit our daughter better, etc...)

You can do this, but honestly I ask you not to do this. The train stations, especially in Tokyo and Osaka areas are very busy, so if you do this, the queue will stop at that point. As you wrote in your first post, Hyperdia just scared you, probably because there are so many alternatives to go from one place to another. The station staff will struggle to meet your request, but it will take long time. Further, most likely, he/she is not good at English. I think it will be a nightmare. So I recommend you to work out with Hyperdia in your home where no queue after you is present. At the ticket counter just show the printed results of Hyperdia. One advantage of JR pass is, if you take non-reserved seats, you don't need to go to the ticket window to reserve the seat (still I recommend you to reserve seats to secure your seats).

If you take non-reserved seats, your 2 years old child can travel for free, and take seat, if there are vacant seats. If you take reserved seats, basically your child can not take seat. This issue is sometimes discussed among Japanese people. Some buy child fare ticket to take seat while others don't buy it. I think it depends many factors (cost, the body size, predicted crowds, distance, etc.).

As for JR Pass and regular tickets, I would still prefer JR Pass, since I guess you will travel in Kansai areas where JR pass will have some cost savings. But it is also up to you.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/21 18:59
Wow you guys/girls are amazing, thanks for all the replies!

The queues to buy tickets doesnt sound like fun, I think that in-itself is enough to make me buy the JR tickets!!

Omotenashi - In Toshima we'll be close to JR Ikebukuro station; in Osaka we are closest to Shin-Osaka Station; and for what it's worth in Matsumoto it looks like we will be using Matsumoto Station as it is closest to our accommodation.

So it looks like im gona go buy these tickets now. Under your experienced guidelines I will also be sure to book in advance with reserved seating :)

I cant thank you all enough for your help! The Japan public transport system is a little overwhelming for the unseasoned traveller! But im sure once we are there it will all make sense... Now we just have to play the waiting game until we get there to start our adventure!!

Arigato gozaimashita
Simon
by Simondo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass or play it by ear when we get there? 2016/9/21 21:06
Seriously, have a look on the main Japan Guide website and check out the "How to use Hyperdia" page (or there's probably a video on Youtube, I imagine).

Spend 5 minutes and work out how to use Hyperdia. It is very simple. It will then become your friend and will save you lots of time as it will help you before your trip (how many trains run from A to B, how often they run) as well as during your trip (every train has a number. If you take the train number to the booking office when you want to make a booking, it will help the process. You can also then book several trains at one time more easily, thus saving you having to queue for tickets before every journey).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread