Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 01:11
i am not a fresh graduate, but i am not that senior.just a lil more than two years of working experience, the one year experience is related to the position offered (with portfolio and past clients)
the offer is 180k yen (deductible is only tax). (how much will be left to me) no health insurance too.
As far as i know (i am not sure though, please confirm) the salary for fresh graduates is about 200k - 250k so the offer is really low.
its from a small foreign company. so nihongo is not required.
are small foreign companies usually offer low salary? by the way, this an office job. thanks in advance for your advices
by autumnbreeze (guest)  

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 09:55
I cannot comment about "small foreign companies" in general, but I am a bit concerned that they are not offering health insurance - which means you need to sign up with National Health Insurance scheme and pay in yourself, and probably pension too. Do they pay for your commuting? It does sound a bit low. Is this in Tokyo? I am guessing maybe not.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 13:27
This is in tokyo!
do i have a choice not to get insurance and pension?
by autumnbreeze (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 15:07
If it's a full-time position it sounds fishy IMO.
I personally would not accept it, the pay is on the low side and them not offering health insurance is a red flag...
by ruby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 15:25
do i have a choice not to get insurance and pension?

No, and if the company doesn't cover their part then you'll have to pay fully out of pocket. That sounds like an awfully low starting salary and no benefits just makes it sound worse. I'd keep looking.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 17:51
I agree with the rest, that's awfully low even for fresh-graduates. what kind of job will you be doing? Is it a full-time position?

This is a very rough estimation, but you would be looking at something like 170,000 after taxes. Then you need to pay your own kokumin hoken out of this, which I is a bit more complex to calculate. I think I wouldn't be too off if we say that you'll end up with about 150k in your pocket.

Impossible to live on that? Not at all, there's people living on less in Tokyo. Is it a fair offer? I don't think so. You should definitely try to negotiate or look somewhere else. Even English teachers earn more.
by Aru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 19:06
Are you serious?
Come on, they don't pay for your health insurance, pension, may be no transportation fee
If you are Japanese, may be ok.
For a gaijin, that is so bad.
by gaijinforever (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/21 23:59
the position is in digital marketing and some administrative support. transportation is paid.

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/29 01:26
How much is acceptable?

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/29 13:52
Most companies in Japan will not consider anything less than 3 years as "experience", especially if those are the very first years of your career, so consider yourself like a new grad. But even so, I think that 200k and shakai hoken is the least you should accept. Ideally, 230k

Re: should i negotiate? 2016/9/29 14:26
And one more thing. In my previous post I was assuming that the company pays the usual summer and end of year bonuses (both typically in the range of 4~5 months of salary) which are in addition to your monthly salary.

If they do, you'd fall under the normal salary range for new grads (2.8~3M/year), which sounds fair. If not, you could still make a living in Tokyo, but it would honestly be a very bad deal.

reply to this thread