Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa for my wife & daughter 2016/9/22 16:00
Hi guys,

Im English and luckily never had to deal with any Visas for Japan trips.

I am looking to visit for 2 weeks with my wife and stepdaughter in March and trying to sort out their visas. They both have Uzbek passports (and we all live in Prague, Czech Republic).

From looking on the consulate websites it seems that the only option for Visas for Russia & CIS countries is Visiting Family/Friends OR through a Japanese Travel Agency.
Is this correct? Is there really not an option for citizens of those countries to travel independently in Japan?

I have friends in Tokyo, and so it is not impossible to ask them to get all the paperwork together but I would rather not put them through the trouble.

I have emailed the consulate to ask but still havent had any response and figured that someone here might know some more information. I guess I am spoilt with my passport but I am also positive I saw more than a few Russian "backpackers" and lone tourists whilst in Japan, so assumed there must be an alternative.

Thanks in advance for anyones help :)
by Emdee (guest)  

Re: Visa for my wife & daughter 2016/9/23 02:07
Indeed, we do not realise often enough how simple the Visa Waiver programme makes things for us. BTW, my experience with consulates and embassies is that it is best to phone them.

No doubt you have seen this: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/russia_nis.html

And it looks like your best option is to have your friends in Japan be the guarantor (http://www.mofa.go.jp/files/000130342.pdf) as the only option for tourism for these country's nationals is with a travel agency guarantee. What a pain :-)
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa for my wife & daughter 2016/9/23 11:18
Have you looked into the details for booking via a travel agency? Be aware that that doesn't mean you have to join a tour as by far their biggest business is arranging independent trips.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visa for my wife & daughter 2016/9/23 21:23
Thanks for the replies,
I haven;t looked in to that yet, tbh. Mostly as I assumed it is going to cost a lot of money for their organising it. I will try calling the Consulate on Monday and if these are indeed the only two ways to apply, I will have to sweet talk some friends :)
thanks guys...
by Emdee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread