Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Careworker in Japan 2016/9/22 19:39
hi

is there anyone here working in Japan as careworker. I have an offer of 950/hour + 40K yen in one facility of Tokyo. Is it worth risking ?
by yow123  

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/23 11:05
Barely above minimum wage.

You would struggle to make rent.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/23 11:26
They said that i can have someone to share room to minimize expenses for rent. Will i'll be able to survive ? It is really a tough decision.
by yow123 rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/23 11:37
Curious..
plus 40K, what do you mean by that?
Will you get it per month or upon contract completion?
Know that caregiver work demands alot and long hours.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/23 11:43
A maximum of 40,000 yen allowance is provided only for rent each month

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/23 12:08
Foreign careworkers are a fairly new and restricted visa class which, according to the Japan Times, is limited to about 240 certified workers nationwide. Considering applicants need both Japanese language ability and nurse training to qualify for the visa makes the salary seem a bit low to me, but then again I don't really know anything about the industry. Still, for some reason this offer is setting off my radar, and I'd recommend checking the company more thoroughly. Can they give you any references or referrals to contact?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/23 12:12
i have An offer from government of Phils -POEA and JIcWELs government of Japan. I just having a hard time if i still continue my application. Given the salary and allowance mention. They said living in Tokyo is expensive.

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/26 11:42
I'm not familiar with the requirements to be a careworker or your level of experience, so I can't really say if it's a low salary or not. That's very subjective.

What I can tell you is that you can definitely live on that and maybe even save a bit (if you're single). It is not true that it is barely above minimum wage as someone else said.

I'm going to suppose that the monthly allowance is tax-free, so that means that if we assume you work only 8 hours a day and not on weekends at a 950/hour rate, you'd be making about 125,000 a month after all deductions (tax, social insurance and pension), plus the 40,000 tax-free allowance = 165,000. That's about what English teachers and even some fresh grads make.

It will be tight and you'll have to manage your expenses carefully, but you'll be completely fine if you're willing to sacrifice some comfort.

So, to answer your question: Yes, you can survive and do a bit more with that salary.

What you need to answer for yourself: Is the offer satisfactory considering your experience and qualifications? Will it give you the chance to have better living standards than in your current place?
by Aru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/27 12:36
Minimum wage is about 800 yen per hour. That might be fine for an 18 year old working part time in a bento store, but not really for someone who has bills, etc.

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/27 12:59
He said he'll receive an additional 40k monthly allowance. That is no longer close to minimum wage.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/27 17:20
i have An offer from government of Phils -POEA and JIcWELs government of Japan.

That is much more reassuring to hear.

Current minimum wage is 822 yen in Tokyo, so this offer plus the housing allowance is better by about 25%. That's enough to sustain yourself on, but doesn't add up to anything extravagant. Whether or not you find this an adequate salary depends on you and your situation.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/27 18:14
Thank you guys. I made my decision. I'll push through the opportunity. I guess offer is better than my current salary here in Phil. Training would start on Nov. 4.

Re: Careworker in Japan 2016/9/28 06:51
Yeah, I suppose you are right, the 40k makes a difference.
It sounds like the employer will help them find a place to stay too.

From the initial post, I thought the 40k was a one-time thing, but if it's monthly, it will be a big help.

Still not a huge salary, but if you live frugally, you should be OK.

reply to this thread