Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I used an IC card entering a station 2016/9/26 13:17
Hello,

As a part of my trip to Japan, I sometimes have to transfer from a private line to a JR line. Usually, during the transfer, I exit the station and then reenter using my JR pass. However, today a Kintetsu train ran a little late And I had less than a minute to transfer to a JR line, so I skipped exiting the station..

So, naturally, I exited the final station using my JR pass. But there is still an "open" travel on my IC card. next time I'll get to use it will be in a few days and it will be in another prefecture - and I'll have to use it extensively. Will I have a problem using it? Or will there be some penalty?

It's really important to me, as I am really depanded on my IC card.

Thank You
by Nikitaga  

Re: I used an IC card entering a station 2016/9/26 13:47
When you arrive at the station, see a station attendant and explain what happened. They may simply get you to pay the difference. You'll need to sort this out before using the IC card again, though, as it won't register properly otherwise.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I used an IC card entering a station 2016/9/26 17:35
At a manned window they can scan your card and they will see your entry station. You will need to tell them the station you exited (date/time will help) and they can take off the correct fare.

(Basically, next time you use the IC card it will tell you to see the attendant anyway.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: I used an IC card entering a station 2016/9/27 16:12
Thank you for the quick answer.
I did just what you both said - I approached an attendant in a JR station I happened to pass by and he simply "fixed" my card. it took him 30 seconds and he didn't even ask for any payment. (though I reminded him of it and got to pay the sum I owed in cash)

All in all it was way simpler than how I feared it might be.
by Nikitaga rate this post as useful

Re: I used an IC card entering a station 2016/9/28 07:35
Happens all the time. Sometimes the cards don't scan when exiting and the gates remain open so you have a similar occurrence - I had this a couple of months ago and it was very routine.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread