Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/27 17:52
Hi so this is my first going to Japan and like in the title I am planning to go from Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot. I will stay in Japan from october 13 till november 9.

My plan so far is to go from Tokyo to Odawara by train then on foot to Gotenba and i will star may assent to Mount Fuji if it still possible at the time. Then i will folow the route to Hiroshima which will take me thru Nagoya, Shiga, Kyoto, Osaka,Okayama.

So my question is my route good or can I plan a better route?
by Tomaz24  

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/27 20:13
Are you aware of the distance?? From Odawara to Hiroshima, you are talking about over 700 kilometers.

October is not the climbing season for Mt. Fuji.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/27 20:14
If you just want to walk, then OK - but if you are in Tokyo, why not take the train to Fujiyoshida (instead of Odawara), and once you are finished with the 5 lakes & Fuji-san, then walk to Gotemba and continue on.... If it were me, I would walk the coast from just beyond Gotemba...

Climbing Fuji-san is over for the season, but you could take a bus to the half-way point (5th station), and possibly even walk back down thru the forest to the shrine at the base in Fujiyoshida.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/27 20:22

Wow, I have never heard anyone attempting such a long march. All the best!!
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/27 23:35
Well it's roughly 30+ km per day presuming you walk from Gotemba starting day 2... but that doesn't leave any time for sightseeing. It's theoretically doable, however as a word of caution, I have a friend who did a similarly long (per day) expedition between Nagoya and Kyoto and his retelling of the journey sounds like a recounting of the Odyssey, including the casualties but minus the fun parts. And this is a guy who has cycled the length of Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/28 01:52
I think you might want to fire up Google Maps and see just how far that distance is.

At 10 hours per day you're looking at a minimum of 15 days of just walking....no time spent doing anything else.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/28 05:36
https://goo.gl/maps/MCWTZ6uzgVu
You have to hitchhiking many times.

Natinal Road "R1" and "R2" are like this. (x8 speed)
https://youtu.be/xMtN3y17p6E (Jump to 31:00 until Osaka)
https://youtu.be/J_x6aAZfDcE (Jump to 37:30 opposite route fr Hirosima city)
by SR (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/28 11:07
As others have said, the Mt. Fuji climbing season is over (ends early September). As the year progresses, it becomes more dangerous to climb to mountain. It is very cold, it could be windy, the huts will be closed and there will be no one around to help you if you have an accident. If you plan to climb outside of season, you must register a climbing plan with the authorities. Unless you're a serious and experienced mountaineer, do not climb Fuji outside of season.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: From Tokyo to Hiroshima mostly on foot 2016/9/28 19:21
Thank you for your information and opinions. I will consider them in my planning of the trip.
by Tomaz24 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread