Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12 days trip to Tohuku and Hokkaido 2016/9/28 14:07
28/10/16: Arrive at Tokyo Narita Airport & and travel via JR Train to Sendai. Explore the town.
I'll be traveling to Japan for the first time in Oct/Nov for 12 days. I plan to do Hokkaido & Tohoku with a bit of Tokyo. I need your help in suggesting two things - firstly is my itinerary good to go and secondly which JR Pass will be ideal for me. This is my planned itinerary:

29/10/16: Leave Sendai early morning to travel to Yamagata, Zao Onsen and check-in at a Hotel

30/10/16: Leave early morning to travel to Matsushima. Do local sightseeing & spend the night here.

31/10/16: Take train to Hakodate. Spend 2 nights here. Explore the city on tram. Spend an evening on Mount Hakodate.

1/11/16 : Explore Hakodate & Lake Toya

2/11/16: Take train to Noboribetsu. Visit the Noboribetsu onsen, the Jigokudani (Hell Valley) and the Oyunuma Pond. Spend a night here.

3/11/16 : Take the JR train to Sapporo. Explore the local attractions

4/11/16: Take a train to Furano. Then head to Farm Tomita followed by Biei for the Shirahige Waterfall and Blue River. Return to Sapporo at night

5/11/16 : Visit Sapporo morning market and have a day trip to Otaru.

6/11/16: Take a JR train/Flight back to Tokyo

7/11/16 : Explore Mt. Fuji. Or Tokyo cities - Harajuku, Asakusa, etc

8/11/16: Return home from Tokyo

Thanks in advance!
by Archana (guest)  

Re: 12 days trip to Tohuku and Hokkaido 2016/9/28 16:11
your travel looks very "north" based... i just wonder why do you fly to tokyo at all? wouldnt be a flight to Sapporo or Sendai be more convenient? It would save you the long trip updawards and costs generally the same?
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days trip to Tohuku and Hokkaido 2016/9/28 16:21
Not sure what you would be doing in Farm Tomita. The lavender fields should be barren. Do spend the time in some other Furano attraction or more time in Biei. (It is a large area with infrequent transport).

Besides that, Good to GO!
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days trip to Tohuku and Hokkaido 2016/9/28 17:46
Thanks a lot for the responses. I am actually flying in and out of Tokyo so I have no option but to go with this. I wanted to do Yamagata, Sendai & Matshushima as well so if I fly to Sapporo I might not be able to do that. So what do you recommend - which pass should take or should I fly down to Sapporo and let go of Tohuku completely?
by Archana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days trip to Tohuku and Hokkaido 2016/9/28 18:45
hmm, have you checked flights from tokyo to sendai? they are sometimes really cheap. (but of course if you buy railpass anyhow it is a waste of money).
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread